This is a recipe for fennel orange salad is light and refreshing and full of flavor. A great side dish for a paella, or any full flavored main course. A perfect salad for holiday entertaining.
This salad comes compliments of Sur la Table and our March Cooking Class “Great Paella at Home”. The side dish recipes are always a perk when learning about the main attraction.
The flavors in this combination are outstanding. The fennel is crisp and refreshing. The sweetness of the orange along with a bite of a salty olive is exciting. And the vivid colors make this beautiful salad to dig into.
The simple vinaigrette blends nicely adding honey and sherry vinegar. Add some fennel fronds for garnish and you’ve got a dramatic and delicious side dish.
Recipe for Fennel Orange Salad with Olives
I hope you give this Fennel Orange Salad recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite side dish salad for Paella or a salad using fennel, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Recipes Using Oranges:
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- For the Salad:
- 3 large oranges
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce washed, dried and torn
- 3 cups arugula washed and dried
- 1 medium fennel bulb cored and thin sliced on a mandolin
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup good quality Spanish olives pitted
- Whisk shallot, vinegar and honey in a small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from oranges, and cut between the membranes to release the segments into a small bowl. This technique is called "supreming".
- To serve: Toss greens, fennel, orange segments, almonds and olives in large bowl with enough vinaigrette to thoroughly coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Orange and Olive Salad with Fennel … It’s what’s for a Side Dish
How can you go wrong with andouille sausage, shrimp, hot chiles, cumin, cilantro and lime….and that’s only a partial line up. Spicy Paella is a perfect main course for this salad.