Pioneer Woman’s Best Macaroni Salad. Because we all need a perfect macaroni salad recipe!
This one will get you through every Summer pot luck and BBQ thrown your way.
We’ve been enjoying Summer-like temperatures for a couple of weeks now and before July melts into August, I wanted to share a recipe I found over at Pioneer Woman. She calls it the “best macaroni salad ever” and to me, it just may be perfect.
I first made this last Winter as a test and a warm up for Summer grilling season and served it with one of my favorite easy rib recipes, Crockpot Country Style Ribs. And I knew it would be a perfect side dish for any main course you can dream up this Summer.
Summer food! Burgers, tomatoes, steaks, cucumbers, kabobs, sweet corn…what am I missing? How about a cold beer to swill it all down with?
Last week I was picking up lunch for our office at everyone’s favorite Denver Mexican Restaurant, Los Dos Potrillos and while waiting on the order, couldn’t resist taking a photo of Corona bottle lording over the bar area. This big old bottle had me craving one of my favorite Summer drinks, Mexican Michiladas.
This room sized Corona just might be the perfect quantity for those hot summer days. And good news, Potrillos is moving soon to Highlands Ranch in the old Native New Yorker location. I sure hope the massive Corona bottle makes that move with them, along with that impressive collection of tequila bottles. 🙂
Pioneer Woman’s Best Macaroni Salad = a Keeper
Potlucks and back yard BBQ parties are a great way to know if a recipe is a keeper or not. I’ve taken this macaroni salad recipe to a couple of neighborhood parties over the past couple of weeks, and let me tell you, I should have doubled the recipe.
It was very popular and many folks asked me for the recipe. Always a grand compliment, right? It seems this macaroni salad is filled with just the right things and the balance of those “things” work so well.
And it’s perfect for any pot luck because it travels well and can be made ahead.
Back to this Macaroni Salad Ever. Why is it so good?
- Not too heavy with mayo
- Just right with red-wine vinegar
- Tangy, sweet and spicy in a perfect way
- There are black olives involved
- There are pickles involved
- Elbow macaroni – perfect Summer comfort pasta
I’ve tweaked her recipe every so slightly, substituting green onions with Vidalia, reducing the vinegar and adding a little it back in until it tasted right to me.
Recipe for Pioneer Woman’s Best Macaroni Salad
I hope you give this recipe for Pioneer Woman’s Macaroni Salad a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And please leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite Summer macaroni salad recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Summer Macaroni and Pasta Salad Recipes
And Summer potluck potato salad recipes are always a hit, don’t forget:
Pioneer Woman's Best Macaroni Salad. Because we all need a perfect macaroni salad recipe! This one will get you through every Summer pot luck and BBQ thrown your way.
- 4 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 whole roasted red peppers chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet and spicy pickle diced
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar adding more to taste, up to 3 tablespoons
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- plenty fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup half and half or milk
- 2 teaspoons pickle juice
- Cook macaroni in lightly salted water till done. Drain in a colander. Set aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, milk and pickle juice in medium sized bowl.
- In large bowl place cooked macaroni. Add about 3/4's of the mayonnaise mixture to the macaroni.
- Next add the peppers, pickles, olives and onions. If needed, add the remaining dressing.
- Add a splash of pickle juice to the salad. The salad dressing will thicken up after refrigeration.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
Pioneer Woman’s Best Macaroni Salad Ever …It’s what’s for a Perfect Summer Side.