Avocado Hearts of palm salad with butter leaf lettuce and walnuts. A beautiful presentation. A perfect side of any main course. Healthy, lemony, delicious.
Despite the photos on national news of fifty inch snowfalls in our Rocky Mountains, and wicked blizzards on our Eastern plains, Denver has enjoyed many beautiful sunny days throughout the Winter months.
Shhh…don’t tell everyone, our housing market is already stressed due to everyone wanting to live here. Even with those Chamber of Commerce days, as predicted, this time of year finds me wishing for the grass to green and the trees to leaf.
How about a lovely Spring salad to remind us that brighter landscape colors are just around the corner?
Delicate butter lettuce, creamy avocado and hearts of palm is just the salad to shake off those Winter blues. Add a crunch of toasted walnuts and red onion, a delicate dressing of lemon and olive oil and you’ll be dreaming of flip flops in no time.
Just as the name would suggest hearts of palm are the inner part, or heart of the stem of the cabbage palm tree. They have a delicate and tropical flavor. And if you don’t have a cabbage palm in your front yard, you can easily grab a can at the supermarket and enjoy this delicacy any time.
If you’re looking for hearty of palm recipes, this is a beautiful salad. It comes together very easily. Served with a simple fried pork chop and a mixture of frozen vegetables cooked in the microwave this is a very easy weeknight dinner.
Recipe for Avocado Hearts of Palm Salad
I hope you give this avocado hearts of palm salad a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite recipe using hearts of palm, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
And if you like salads with hearts of palm, don’t miss this recipe for Tree House Salad
And if you’re salad fans like us, don’t miss my post on 9 Secrets To A Remarkable Tossed Salad. A step by step guide on how to make the best tossed salad ever.
Hearts of Palm and Avocado Salad
- 1 clove garlic fine chopped or pressed through a garlic pressw
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces butterhead lettuce leaves torn
- 1/4 cup whole walnuts chopped and toasted
- 1 avocado halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- 1/4 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 ounce can hearts of palm drained and thinly sliced on the bias, 14-.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a sheet pan place the whole walnuts. Bake for 8 minutes to toast.
- Place garlic into a salad bowl and rub into the sides and bottom of bowl. Add the oil to the bowl.
- Rinse dry lettuce and place into the bowl on top of the oil. Toss the lettuce until the oil has coated the leaves.
- In a bowl, whisk lemon juice, salt, and pepper.Pour over the lettuce and toss the leaves again. Add in remaining ingredients and toss lightly to combine. Serve with the protein of your choice for a lovely light dinner.
Avocado Hearts of Palm Salad …It’s what’s for a Salad.