Adding Worcestershire sauce to blue cheese dressing brings an irresistible layer of flavor. This recipe is everything you’d expect from a chunky blue cheese dressing. Super creamy and gutsy with plenty of crumbled blue cheese. Perfect for your next tossed salad or a blue cheese dipping sauce for wings. A perfect balance between creamy and chunky and better than anything you can buy at the store.
This recipe was first published June, 2017 and updated January 2021.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through my referral link, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase.
Why This Homemade Dressing Is So Awesome
Blue Cheese Dressing is my “go-to”. And cooking is all about making things from scratch? Don’t you agree?
I’ve never ever, EVER found a bottled blue cheese dressing that’s as good as this homemade version. I’m of the opinion that bottled dressing makers add too much sugar, which detracts from the glorious flavor of good blue cheese.
Blue cheese dressing should be brash with flavor, yet still refined and gutsy with cheese. And a perfect balance of creamy and chunky.
So next time you’re getting ready to browse the salad dressing aisle at the grocery store, browse the dairy section instead.
All you need is some sour cream and crumbled blue cheese. The remaining ingredients are staples from your pantry.
This is a combination of ingredients that we used to make blue cheese dressing in Culinary School. I’ve tweaked the recipe a bit and made this blue cheese salad dressing even chunkier and all mine.
Let’s take a look:
Mise en place. Always gather ingredients before starting any recipe. It will save you time and organize your mind.
- Blue Cheese: Purchase either containers of already crumbled blue cheese, or a wedge of blue cheese. Blue cheese is easy to crumble, so I always reach for my favorite wedge in the specialty cheese section.
- The Creamy: This recipe calls for both sour cream and mayonnaise. A perfect rich combination of tangy and creamy.
- Worcestershire Sauce: The secret ingredient that gives this chunky blue cheese dressing just the kick it needs. It’s used in many steakhouse blue cheese recipes.
- Acid: We’ll use lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Not only does an acid introduce a slight sour undertone to the flavor. Adding any acid to any recipe brightens and enhances flavors in a way that salt can’t do.
- Seasoning: Garlic powder and sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
How To Make It
So easy! Once you’ve gathered the ingredients, the rest is a cinch. Just grab a large mixing bowl and start adding ingredients.
- Step 1: Using a whisk, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Step 2: Switch to a spatula and fold in the chunks of blue cheese.
- Step 3: Stir until well blended.
What type of blue cheese should I use?
I have received no incentive to mention this name brand, it’s simply the brand I prefer. It’s an American made blue cheese produced in Iowa. A cow’s milk cheese that is creamy and mild in flavor and easy to find.
Roquefort is a sheep milk’s cheese. Creamy and aromatic, complex and intense. This cheese will add a stronger funky flavor to blue cheese dressing. This cheese and its strong personality is made for serious blue cheese lovers.
A strong blue veined cheese that is rich and creamy, with a slight bitterness and salt. Made with cow’s milk, it’s milder than Roquefort and an excellent choice for blue cheese dressing.
The best known British Blue Cheese that has a strong spicy flavor. I use it whenever I can find it.
Gorgonzola, from Italy, is soft and spreadable. Depending on age, the flavor ranges from mild to sharp. Due to its softness, your chunky factor will be compromised. I’d save this one to spread on a burger.
Made in Wisconsin, it’s a medium strength cow’s milk cheese and a good value and I’ve made this recipe many times using this cheese. The color variation isn’t as crisp as other blue cheeses, making it not my first choice.
In summary, any blue cheese will work for the blue cheese salad dressing recipe. Try them all and find your favorite.
How to use this dressing
- A big beautiful salad of course: Our favorite salad is bowl of fresh greens, topped with bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, tomato wedges finished with a generous grating of mozzarella cheese. And topped with blue cheese dressing, Just like our favorite Italian Restaurant serves.
- Hamburger: Add a dollop to your next burger.
- Chicken Wings: Use it as a blue cheese dipping sauce. We prefer Blue Cheese Dressing over Ranch dressing for spicy chicken wings.
- Vegetables: Place a small bowl of this dressing in the middle of a fresh veggie platter. It’s tasty for dipping raw cauliflower, carrots, celery and beyond.
- Baked Potato: You bet, add a spoonful to your next baked potato instead of sour cream. Give that one a try, you’ll be glad you did.
Recipe For Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
A recipe from Culinary School, this is the best blue cheese salad dressing recipe I’ve found to date. And it’s a perfect dressing for a classic wedge salad.
I hope you give this recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with this recipe.
And if you have a favorite homemade salad dressing recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try. I’m always looking for new ideas.
More Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
- Red Chile Buttermilk Ranch Dressing a riff on Ranch Dressing from a James Beard Winning Restaurant.
- Sweet Red Wine Vinaigrette Our favorite vinaigrette, EVER
- Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Its perfect in every way.
- Homemade Catalina Dressing A blast from the past and perfect for that old fashioned Taco Salad
- Creamy Poppyseed Dressing A beautiful Spring-y dressing that is a must make.
And if you’re looking for more salad recipes, don’t miss my Salad Category. You’ll find lots of great salad and dressing recipes, including the most popular for Louisiana Sunburst Salad.
Like this recipe? Join the Cooking On The Ranch Community (it’s free to join) and I’ll send you even more comfort food recipes just like this. Join HERE.
Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream full fat is best
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup half and half or milk
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- salt/pepper to taste
- Using a whisk, mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Switching to a spatula, fold in the crumbled blue cheese and mix well.
- Menu Inspiration
- Spicy Deviled Eggs with Chile Cilantro Panko Crisps
- Tossed Salad with Chunky Blue Cheese Salad
- Slow-Cooker Garlic Butter Baked Potatoes
- Pan Seared Flank Steak with Onion Marmalade
- Easy Chocolate Tart
Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe … It’s what’s for a Salad