Elevate your burger game with these Silver Spur Ranch Blue Cheese Burgers. Juicy and full of flavor, this Western style blue cheese burger is absolutely mouthwateringly delicious.
Blue Cheese Burgers Recipe Inspiration
Before we go any further with these blue cheese hamburgers, I’d like to address the title of this recipe which I found in my Colorado Classique Cookbook. It appeared without a hint of why it bears the namesake of Silver Spur Ranch
Turning to Google I found that Silver Spur Ranch is a huge cattle operation with ranches in New Mexico, Wyoming, Northern Colorado and Central Colorado (Douglas and Elbert Counties). Which by the way we live in Douglas County, so it’s not far from us.
The majority of the herd is comprised of Angus x Continental females which are bred to survive the Wyoming/Colorado environmental challenges, altitude and sage brush country.
The site includes a bunch of technical cow talk and ranching standards. Not one peep about food.
So I have no story, no history for this blue cheese burgers recipe. I leave you with only your imagination of cowboys sitting around a campfire after a long cattle drive with their tin cups in hand, inventing non-traditional ingredients to throw into their hamburger meat.
These burgers were SO good that about two bites in I asked Hubs, “Am I just starving or are these things delicious?” Hubs answered, “These things are delicious!”
Let’s talk about blue cheese burgers. I’ve had a couple here and there, and just wasn’t crazy about them. Until now.
Past experience has left such a strong blue cheese flavor that I should have paired them with a stick of celery or a slice of pear rather than a hamburger bun.
What’s on a blue cheese burger? First of all, let’s talk about what’s in that burger. What cheese to use for blue cheese burgers? Award Winning Point Reyes Blue Cheese is my absolute favorite blue cheese on earth. Creamy and bold in flavor, it’s perfect for melting into these burgers.
I’ve also made these blue cheese burgers with Maytag blue cheese for these, and this burger was so incredibly and perfectly flavored that I can’t wait to make them again.
As far as the ingredients for these burgers, let’s just say this lineup makes for one of the most mouthwatering burgers you’ll ever taste.
- 80-20 blend ground beef: Fat equals flavor. It may sound like a high fat content, but most of the fat renders out during the cooking process. 20% fat content will give you a moist juicy hamburger.
- Blue Cheese: With a texture like butter and rich in aroma and flavor, blue cheese adds a spicy piquancy to ground beef. It’s a delicious combination.
- Chives: Chives are related to onion and the flavor is evident. In a very delicate way. They add just a perfect hint of onion flavor.
- Hot Sauce: Adds just enough spice to get your attention, but not to over power. Use your favorite. I like Cholula, a rich, bold and medium heat sauce. Tabasco sauce would also be a good choice.
- Worcestershire Sauce: My very favorite ingredient in this recipe. Savory, sweet and with a distinct tang, it really ramps up the flavor of this blue cheese burger.
- Dry Mustard: My 2nd favorite ingredient in this recipe. Dry mustard adds a tangy heat. Clean with a fresh aroma and sharp flavor, it’s a perfect partner for ground beef.
Every burger needs a good bottle of wine.
“Call up a couple of friends that share your love of wine and invite them over. Tell them that you have been waiting to open these bottles and that you couldn’t think of anyone that you’d rather share them with. Fine wine, like life, is meant to be enjoyed.” Loosely quoted from Matt Kramer,
Every now and then we drink a wine that for whatever reason seems really hits our sweet spot…
This bottle of Orin Swift Machete, a Petit Sirah is always a good choice. Always one we open for any beef entree.
Recipe for Blue Cheese Burgers
I normally would grill these blue cheese burgers on our trusty Weber, but our back yard still resembles the Arctic Circle, so I pan grilled these burgers in my cast iron stove-top grill pan.
Grilled or pan fried, these blue cheese burgers are the bomb.
I hope you give these blue cheese burgers a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience about the recipe.
And if you have a favorite blue cheese burgers recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Sides For Blue Cheese Burgers:
What immediately comes to mind as a perfect partner for any cheeseburger? Fries! I’ve used frozen crinkle fries in this photo, but my homemade Smoked Paprika Oven Fries are a fine choice. Here’s some more ideas:
- Pineapple Coleslaw with Buttermilk with Jalapeno Buttermilk Dressing Creamy, sweet and spicy it’s a perfect side dish for any Summer BBQ and you’ll be amazed at how many people will ask you for the recipe.
- Old Fashioned Classic Potato Salad: Creamy with mayonnaise, tangy with mustard, crunchy with celery and onion, and with a surprise of green olives, this is an old-fashioned classic potato salad recipe.
- Calico Beans. Nourishing, satisfying and the best pot of beans you’ll ever tango with.
More gourmet burger recipes:
- Rosemary Garlic Burgers with Smoked Gruyere Ground beef seasoned with fresh rosemary and garlic, and topped with wine caramelized red onions. Some grainy Dijon and a slice of tomato and you’ve got a killer burger.
- Bison Chipotle Cheddar Cheeseburgers Signature burger of the Colorado Rockies. Simply topped with chipotle cheddar cheese, bacon and BBQ sauce = WOW
- Green Chili Chicken Burgers This healthier burger recipe is oozing with Hatch green chiles and Southwestern flair. Plus tips on how to make the best chicken burgers.
- Bobby Flay’s Texas Burger Juicy, delicious, topped with slaw and BBQ Sauce. Perfect crowd pleasing burger for your next back yard cookout.
- Buffalo Bill Burger A buffalo burger recipe using ground bison and Mexican chorizo. The burgers are seasoned with Southwestern flavors and then topped with a smoky BBQ cream sauce and caramelized red pepper rings
Beef lover? You won’t want to miss my Beef Category. Lots of beefy goodness to browse.
The most popular being my lineup of 31 Best Burger Recipes for Father’s Day. Check it out.
Silver Spur Ranch Blue Cheese Hamburgers
- 2 pounds ground beef 80-20 blend
- 3 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- 1/2 Cup chives fresh, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce I like Cholula here
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 6 Hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, blue cheese, chives, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and mustard. Form into 6 patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Cook burgers 5 – 6 minutes per side or until cooked to desired doneness. Serve on buttered and toasted buns.
Silver Spur Ranch Blue Cheese Burgers … They’re what’s for Dinner