This is a recipe for oven home fries. Seasoned beautifully with smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, and oh so easy. Oven baked fries are not so greasy, healthier and with that crispy crunch you won’t even miss those deep fried potatoes. This no fuss recipe brown up beautifully and the flavors so delicious.
You know this is a great oven home fries recipe when Hubs announced twice “man these potatoes are good” with no mention of the Dijon mustard slathered beer brat on the other side of the plate. (not pictured – they’re more suited for an omelette) 🙂
I’m a self proclaimed French Fry freak-o. And sorry, not sorry, but McDonalds French Fries are my weakness. I tend to order a Filet-O-Fish and small fries and sit in the car and devour them like a starved wild animal.
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s talk about a way to enjoy French Fries in a more civil manner. From the oven.
Today is the day for the Secret Recipe Club reveal. This month’s top secret mission sent me over to Louisa’s blog Living Lou. Louisa lives in Toronto and started blogging in May of 2010 at the age of seventeen. Really nice blog.
A photo of potatoes will always stop me in my tracks… and a photo of a Yorkshire Terrier is my kryptonite.
I love, love, love that first photo of little Sophie running at full speed, ears back in determination to catch up with Louisa’s mom. The center photo, a face of confidence running towards the camera. And how about that last shot, leaning into the turn like a professional racer. And I picture Louisa laying flat on the ground to get these shots. 🙂
Sophie, Louisa’s little Yorkie/Maltese mix puppy, looks a lot like my little Yorkie Chili, when he was a pup. This is Chili and his “Cheerio Please!” face.
Potatoes and pups…I better get back to the potatoes portion of this post before I’m in trouble with the organizers of this project. 🙂
I had planned a meal of brats for this Saturday night, I thought it perfect to watch the baseball playoffs and was on the search for a simple side dish. Lou’s photo of oven fries with the ketchup in the background jumped right off the computer screen! I’ve grilled potato wedges but haven’t baked them.
Seasoning for Oven Home Fries
Once you get those potatoes peeled, these oven home fries are easy – peasy. Parboil them in a large sauce and drain well. I drain them in a large colander, using two very clean kitchen towels, I used one on the counter to place the potatoes on, and the other to pat and dry them as dry as I could. Then coat with oil.
Smoked Paprika. Yes! Spray a large sheet pan with PAM, place the oven home fries on the sheet pan and toss them with oil and then the seasonings. And speaking of the seasoning, it includes smoked paprika, one of my favorite things to sprinkle on potatoes and beyond. And teaming up with onion and garlic powders = delicious.
Tips for Cooking Oven Home Fries
- Parboil potatoes before roasting. This will release some of the moisture in the potato before it hits the oven. This will help the outside crisp and the inside to stay creamy. How to know when they’re par-boiled? Insert a knife into one of the wedges. If the knife will insert somewhat easily but not release, you’ve done a good job.
- Use just enough oil to coat the potatoes. Too much will equal too crispy and not in a good way.
- Don’t over-crowd The pan. Space out the potatoes for even roasting.
- Don’t pamper or fuss over the potatoes. Let them brown completely on one side before turning.
- What kind of potato should I use for oven home fries? Nothing too waxy. Stick with Yukon Gold or Russet.
Smoked Paprika Oven Home Fries Recipe
I hope you give these oven home fries a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite seasoning for home fries, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Fried Potato Recipes
Looking for something more exotic than ketchup to dip those fries? Take a look at this recipe for Marie Rose Sauce.
And if you’re loving “homemade” why not try Homemade Onion Rings with Buttermilk Batter
Make it A Meal – What to Serve with Oven Home Fries
Home fries are also called steak fries, so why not serve them with this Flank Steak Topped with Chimichurri Sauce. Perfect!
Smoked Paprika Oven Home Fries
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together all the spices.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into wedges. Place potatoes in a large sauce pan of water. Slowly bring them to a boil and let them cook until about 3/4 of the way done. Drain well, place the potatoes on a very clean kitchen towel. Using another towel, pat as dry as you can get them.
- Toss potato wedges in olive oil. Add spices, toss gently to coat.
- Arrange, in one layer, on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with PAM. Bake for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are golden and crisped. Turning once half way through the cooking time.
Oven Home Fries …They’re What’s for a Side Dish.