Take classic creamy coleslaw to a whole new level by adding chunks of sweet pineapple and a creamy jalapeno buttermilk dressing. Give this Pineapple Coleslaw recipe a try. It’s a perfect side dish for any Summer BBQ and you’ll be amazed at how many people will ask you for the recipe.
Can I see a show of hands for all of you coleslaw fanatics? My hand is most certainly in the air.
Heads up for this unique pineapple slaw recipe with just a hint of heat from diced jalapeno. It’s a great coleslaw version that will WOW your crowd.
Coleslaw, a Summer side must have
Coleslaw seems to be a regular side dish on about every Summer BBQ cookout menu. And I’m always surprised to see different variations from across our country.
I’ve gone to pot lucks where German Coleslaw has been served, where a simple vinegar and oil dressing is mixed with shredded red or green cabbage.
I’ve had a Russian recipe with shredded cabbage, julienned carrots, apples and cranberries. Simply dressed with oil and vinegar.
And the recipe I grew up with, is a classic Southern Coleslaw Recipe, using buttermilk, mayo and vinegar.
I have to admit, I’m a fan of all. I’m a fan of cabbage … period!
The latest version to come out of my kitchen is a take on my Classic Coleslaw Recipe, with the addition of canned pineapple tidbits and fine diced jalapeno. They make fine partners for the mayonnaise based vinegar dressing.
The final result is a very nicely balanced combination of flavors.
The pineapple tidbits add just enough sweetness and the diced jalapeno adds just enough heat to kick up the whole culinary experience.
Every time I make this version of pineapple coleslaw, I’m asked for the recipe.
Simple! Just save out a few pineapple tidbits to place on top and garnish with thin sliced green onion.
Pineapple Coleslaw Recipe
A sweet and tangy slaw to brighten up any Summer meal. If you’re like me, a grilled burger, a spoonful of macaroni salad and some pineapple slaw and I’m in Summer meal heaven.
I hope you give this recipe for pineapple coleslaw a try! And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating and leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite coleslaw recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More ways to use cabbage slaw recipes
- Chile Rubbed Braised Beef Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich with Jalapeno Slaw
- Glazed Salmon with Tangerine Balsamic Slaw
- Pulled Pork Sandwich with BBQ Sauce and Slaw
And if you’re looking for more side dish recipes, don’t miss my Side Dish Category. You’ll find lots of fun ideas for any main course.
And if you’re looking for even more side dishes for picnic style gatherings, don’t miss this line-up of Summer cook-out sides. I’m positive you’ll find something you love.
Jalapeno Buttermilk Pineapple Coleslaw
- 12 ounces green cabbage shredded
- 12 ounces Napa cabbage shredded
- 2 medium carrots cleaned and shredded
- 20 ounce canned pineapple tidbits drained and 6 tablespoons liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced thin, green and white parts
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeds and veins removed, and fine diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 4 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, pineapple, shredded carrots, green onions and diced jalapeno.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, rice vinegar, reserved pineapple liquid, pepper and salt until smooth.
- Add to cabbage mixture; toss to coat.
- Refrigerate coleslaw for a minimum of four hours or overnight for the best flavor. Toss again before serving.
Pineapple Coleslaw …. It’s What’s for a Summer Side Dish