Catalina Dressing Taco Salad Recipe is an old Mexican salad recipe from the 70’s. Flavored with Catalina dressing, taco seasoning and ground beef, a hearty and fun recipe.
The last time I made this old taco salad recipe I was wearing bell bottom jeans which had been split at the hem to insert a flowered cloth panel to make them even more bell bottomed, a tie-dyed t-shirt that I dyed myself and Cat Stevens was playing in the background “Ooo baby baby it’s a wild world”.
A couple of weeks ago a message came through from Food Buzz offering coupons for Fresh Express salad mixes. Since I eat salads practically every day for lunch and buy Fresh Express salad mixes and salad kits often, I jumped on my first “freebie” offering. To receive the coupons you had to reply with what you were going to make out of Fresh Express packaged salad mixes and agree to blog about it.
At this point, I experienced my first ever official flashback and this old Taco Salad recipe popped into my head.
Between this recipe and boxed Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (which I swear has drugs in it to make it so good, hence the official flashback) this is what I lived on while receiving my higher education.
I’m assuming this recipe was on a Kraft Catalina dressing bottle, but however we found it, it was a staple.
I honestly haven’t made this in ages. I don’t have a recipe, it doesn’t appear in my official lifetime recipe data base, but I made it often enough in College that I thought I could whip it right up.
Catalina Dressing Taco Salad Recipe
This taco salad recipe can be made with Doritos or Fritos. And you can still find bottled Catalina Dressing on the salad dressing aisle at your market. But if you can’t find it, I urge you to make Homemade Catalina Dressing.
I hope you give this old fashioned taco salad recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite Taco Salad recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Southwest Salad Recipes
Old Taco Salad Recipe With Catalina Dressing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tomato diced
- 16 ounces Catalina dressing
- 16 ounce can chili beans drained but not rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 2 cups Frito Corn Chips
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce rinsed and torn into bite sized pieces
- Brown hamburger and onion in fry pan. Add taco seasoning, and water. Simmer until thick (about 15 – 20 minutes). Stir occasionally so it doesn't stick.
- Drain beans and stir into the meat mixture after it's thickened. Place lettuce in a large bowl and add beef and bean mixture. Add Fritos, chopped tomatoes and olives. Mix in enough Catalina Dressing to coat the ingredients. Top with grated cheddar cheese.
Spoon up a serving in your Corelle bowls or plates, pour a glass of Annie Green Springs cherry wine and you’ve got dinner. Or if you want to live in the moment, served on my Fiesta Ware plates with a glass of Australian Shiraz – delicious.
So what were you eating, drinking and listening to in college?
Old Fashioned Taco Salad Recipe …It’s What’s For Dinner.