Mexican Chicken Salad Recipe. Features a very special sweet spicy dressing and a great line-up of ingredients that will have you asking for seconds. Casa Grande Mexican Salad is healthy and crisp with Bibb lettuce, savory with kidney beans and chicken breast and salty with black olives. Incredible with flavor and a healthy Spring salad choice. Entertaining worthy.
In life there are salads and then there are salads. The second being a satisfying meal that you never want to stop eating. This recipe falls into that category.
This Mexican-inspired salad made with chicken, sweet corn, kidney beans and black olives is tossed with a unique creamy, sweet spicy dressing that is simply stated – addictive.
Ingredients for the dressing include mayo, chili sauce and cider vinegar. This creamy dressing is then kicked up with chili powder and your favorite hot sauce. It’s really a flavorful treat.
I try to use dried beans soaked overnight as often as I can, but make it easy on yourself and grab a can of Red Kidney Beans at the store. Just let them drain and you’re in business. You can also buy a can of yellow corn, but I’d suggest using frozen. Frozen corn gives you that little extra crunch that adds to the beautiful textures of this salad. Just heat it enough to warm and thaw and mix it into the salad.
Using tortilla taco bowl shells would ramp up the presentation factor even more. For this, shred or tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces, line the molded taco bowls with the lettuce then add the salad ingredients. Premolded taco shell bowls can be purchased at the grocery, or if you’re ambitious, they seem easy enough to make at home.
Not only is this an easy weeknight dinner recipe for Bob and me but I’d feel very comfortable serving this entrée-style salad to dinner guests. And here’s why.
- It’s festive and colorful
- It’s fresh and healthy
- Great textures
- It’s a make-ahead salad recipe
- It’s easy
- It’s flat-out scrumptious
- It’s got that WOW presentation factor
If you’re having a Mexican Buffet style party, this would make an easy addition. Either offer the tortilla taco shell bowls, or a platter of Bibb Lettuce. Place either next to a big bowl of the salad ingredients alongside on the buffet.
Riffs on this Mexican Salad Bowl:
- Substitute chili flavored pinto beans for the kidney beans.
- Add some chopped sweet red bell pepper for a splash of color.
- Omit the chicken for a vegetarian Mexican salad.
- To add some heat, add diced jalapeno pepper.
- Serving ideas: Top with Sour cream. Grated Mexican Cheese. Chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for a squeeze of citrus.
Mexican Chicken Salad Recipe:
I hope you give this beautiful Mexican Chicken Salad recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating. Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite Southwestern salad recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
If you’re making this for a crowd, be sure to make plenty. You’ll notice everyone returning for seconds for this one.
More Mexican Salad Recipes
Casa Grande Mexican Salad Recipe
- For the dressing
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Green Onion minced
- 2 Tablespoons Asian Sweet Red Chile Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Onion Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 4 drops Hot pepper sauce
- For the Salad
- 12 ounces Frozen sweet corn thawed
- 1 15 ounce Canned Red Kidney Beans drained
- 7 ounces Pitted Ripe Olives well drained
- 1 Avocado Chopped
- 2 Cups Bibb Lettuce Leaves
- 2 Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless and cut into bite sized pieces
- salt, pepper, chile powder to season chicken
- For the Dressing: Mix first 7 ingredients. Cover and Chill for 30 minutes to let flavors marry.
- Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Season with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and pure chile powder, such as New Mexico chile powder or ancho chile powder.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil. When oil is shimmering, add seasoned chicken pieces. Lower heat to medium and cook until no longer pink inside and juices run clear. About 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Combine corn, beans, olives and chicken. Toss with dressing. Spoon into lettuce-lined bowls.