Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe. Delicately flavored broth with ginger, bay leaf and garlic. Carrot, celery and onion are brightened with lemon zest. This is a lovely light Spring soup recipe.
My cooking alliance lies with Julie Child, and it has for years. This Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe is a Julia Classic. I’m one of those who can eat a piping hot bowl of soup even when Summer temperatures soar. But why not make that warm weather bowl of soup elegant, healthy and light.
Chicken Soup With No Noodles
Fresh in flavor and light in calories, this is a beautiful chicken soup recipe that will have you asking for 2nds.
Most lemon chicken soup recipes include orzo or rice, to lean it towards the Greek side of recipes. This recipe stays clean, fresh and super heathy using just chicken, spices and vegetables.
How To Season Soup For A Brighter Flavor
As I learned in Culinary School, any type of acid will brighten the flavors of any dish. A splash of vinegar is a good example. Especially when making tomato based dishes. Vinegar will take the bite out of a too harsh tomato flavor.
For this soup, lemon zest acts as the acid to lift the flavors of the soup to another level.
Recipe for Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup
It’s perfect in every way. Delicately flavored broth with ginger, bay leaf and garlic. Carrot, celery, onions are brightened with lemon zest. Tender chicken that soaks up every bit of that flavor…and the rest is perfect and elegant history.
‘Tis the season to transition from thick comforting stews to lighter fresh soups. This one brings it on.
I hope you give this lemon chicken soup recipe a try and if you do, please come back and leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite lemon chicken soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Light Chicken Soup Recipes
Delicately flavored broth with ginger, bay leaf and garlic. Carrot, celery and onion are brightened with lemon zest.
- 3 chicken breasts skin on, bone-in
- 4 chicken thighs skin on, bone-in
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 knob of ginger sliced and peeled
- 2 large onions chopped
- 5 celery ribs chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- 6 slices Lemon wheel shape
- Parsley or basil to garnish
- Place chicken, 2 whole garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, sliced peeled ginger, salt and pepper, broth and water in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- For Soup:
- After the chicken has cooled, shred chicken from bones and discard skin.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven. Saute onion, celery, garlic and lemon slices in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5-6 minutes or until tender. Remove the lemon slices to a plate. Add the shredded chicken, cooking liquid, carrots, lemon zest, bay leaves, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and reduce heat to medium, and cook approximately 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Remove ginger and bay leaves.
- Garnish with Parsley or Basil, and thinly sliced lemon.
In the mood for brothy soups? Take a look at this: