This is a recipe for Cuban Shrimp Stew. A delicious soup of bell peppers, celery and garlic in a brick red broth of tomato sauce and cayenne. And that’s just the beginning for a very memorable meal.
This past Sunday I was browsing my Colorado Colore Cookbook and ran across this recipe. At the top of the page I had written “VERY good” with the “very” even double underlined. Odd, as I couldn’t remember making this recipe at all.
Even with the long list of ingredients, I was amazed I had everything on hand, so off to the kitchen I went.
Besides being delicious, look at that vivid brick red color from the tomato paste and cayenne. Looks beautiful sitting on that bed of fluffy white rice doesn’t it? And the flavor? It’s loaded! Sweet onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic and a great lineup of spices. The shrimp is added after marinating in a delicious combo of lime, garlic, oregano and cumin. It’s a little spicy, so go light on the cayenne if you prefer.
Cuban Shrimp Stew …Very memorable meal …. 🙂
More Soup Recipes with Shrimp:
- New Mexico Blue Corn Posole with Shrimp
- Shrimp And Cod Soup, Bourride
- Albondigas de Camerones, Mexican Shrimp Soup
Recipe for Cuban Shrimp Stew
This is a recipe for Cuban Shrimp Stew. A delicious soup of bell peppers, celery and garlic in a brick red broth of tomato sauce and cayenne. And that's just the beginning for a very memorable meal.
- 3 T . fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp peeled, deveined, tails removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper thin sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thin sliced
- 2 stalks celery thick sliced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro minced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 leaves bay
- 2/3 Cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Cups dry white wine
- 3/4 Cup water
- 1/2 t . Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 T . chopped cilantro for topping
- For the shrimp: Combine the lime juice, garlic, oregano and cumin in a bowl and mix well. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- For the stew: Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, peppers, celery, 2 T. of the cilantro, cayenne pepper, oregano, cumin and bay leaf in the hot oil for 5 minutes or until onions start to brown. Stir in the tomato paste. Saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add the wine and water to the vegetable mixture and mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in the undrained shrimp. Simmer for 5 - 6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the stew into a serving bowl over cooked white rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Cuban Shrimp Stew…It’s What’s for Dinner.