Black Bean Chipotle Bison Chili with Lime Crema. A delicious riff on a traditional comfort food dish. Hearty, savory and just what you need for a cozy cold evening dinner.
If you enjoy cooking with bison, don’t miss my Bison Recipes category.
First of all, let me tell you, this Bison Chili along side a glass of Mexican Michelada makes for a divine combination. Just sayin’. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s make this Chipotle Pepper Chili Recipe.
How To Make Black Bean Chipotle Bison Chili
Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. If your ground meat is very lean, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the pot before adding the ground meat.
Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until meat is just starting to brown, using a spoon to break up meat. Remove cooked meat to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, broth, tomatoes, beer and chiles. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover partially, and cook until very thick, about 1-2 hours.
Stir in cornmeal and add black beans. Let simmer together for 10 minutes before serving.
In the meantime, combine sour cream with lime zest and juice of one lime and serve chili in bowls with a spoonful of lime cream on top.
To serve, ladle a large dollop of Lime Crema, and you know me well enough to know that life isn’t complete with a sprinkling of chopped Cilantro. Sliced green onions and chopped avocado make a beautiful garnish against the deep color of this bison chili.
Lime Crema Recipe
The lime crema is key to the uniqueness of this chili. It’s super easy to make and the creamy texture and citrus tones make this delicious bison chili recipe even more special.
It’s simply one cup of sour cream, and the zest and juice of one lime. Bam! Done! Delicious! Give it a try.
Yes. Substitute equal amounts of Greek Yogurt. It will give you the same creamy results you crave and with an extra bit of tang.
Recipe for Black Bean Chipotle Bison Chile with Lime Crema
I hope you give this bison chile with black beans recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with the recipe. I love hearing from my readers.
And if you have a favorite Bison Chile Recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Chili Recipes
- Anthony Bourdain’s New Mexico Style Beef Chili Recipe
- Award Winning Chili Recipe
- Award Winning White Bean Chili
- Cowboy Chili
- Bourbon Beef and Bean Chili
This Bison Chile recipe is a chili cook-off winning recipe from the Leyden Street Chile Cook-off. My friend Michelle was a judge and I received the recipe from her.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
Chipotle Bison Chili with Lime Crema
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil optional
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups chopped onions about 2 medium onions
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 28 ounces fire roasted chopped tomatoes canned, undrained
- 1/2 cup stout or dark beer
- 4 canned chipotle chiles veins and seeds removed, chopped
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 30 ounce black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- Avocado chopped for garnish
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Green onion sliced for garnish
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. If your ground meat is very lean, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the pot before adding the ground meat. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until meat is almost browned, using a spoon to break up meat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, broth, tomatoes, beer and chiles. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover partially, and cook until very thick, about 1-2 hours.
- Then stir in cornmeal and add black beans. Let simmer together for 10 minutes before serving. Stir in the vinegar.
- Combine sour cream with lime zest and juice of one lime and serve chili in bowls with a spoonful of lime cream on top.
- To serve, ladle a large dollop of Lime Crema on top of the chili. Garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped avocado and sliced green onion.
Black Bean Chipotle Bison Chili with Lime Crema …It’s what’s for Dinner
Why Trust These Recipes? Lea Ann Brown has lived, worked and played in Colorado for 45 years. She has immersed herself in the Colorado Culinary space, is a Culinary School Graduate and publishes her Colorado food Blog, Cooking On The Ranch.