This white bean chicken chili is made very special with Swiss Chard and lots of Italian flavors. The combination makes for a great bowl of chili.
This just may be the best White Bean Chili I’ve ever had – EVER!
The odd combination of the flavors march right up the aisle, all the way to the altar, and to everyone’s surprise, and without much ceremony, join in holy matrimony.
Giada served this up a couple of months ago on Giada at Home. I went to foodnetwork.com, bookmarked the recipe and vowed to give it a try. First of all, I’ve never seen chard in a White Chili recipe, nor have I seen Parmesan Cheese. But they seemed happy, so who am I to judge. 2nd of all, Chard is about the most beautiful vegetable to prepare. Those deep rich green leaves with the red veins and those luscious colored stalks. It just makes me feel good about adding it. I think my New Year’s Resolution might be to get to know Chard a bit better. Plus I must say that this Fall I froze a lot of delicious fresh Colorado sweet corn, cutting the kernels off the cob and saving them for special occasions such as this. The only thing I changed with this recipe was to garnish with cilantro instead of parsley. Yum either way. Enjoy! We truly thought this was the best white bean chicken chili we’ve had.
Recipe For Giada’s White Bean Chicken Chili
I hope you give this white bean chicken chili recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite white chicken chili recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
The best white bean chili recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cannellini or other white beans 15-ounce cans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch Swiss chard about 1 pound, stems removed, leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ground chicken, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano, and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the chicken mixture. Add the beans, Swiss chard, corn, and chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, scraping up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Simmer for 55-60 minutes until the liquid has reduced by about half and the chili has thickened.
- Add the red pepper flakes and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the chili into serving bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
Crazy about a good chili like we are? Take a look at this Colorado Award Winning
Giada’s White Bean Chili…It’s What’s For Dinner