Award Winning Chili Recipe. Combining Italian Sausage and Ground Pork And Ground Sirloin builds a layer of flavors that is unforgettable. This is simply a great chili recipe. Let’s take a look.
This is what one would officially refer to as “hauling out the big guns”. I’m sharing my award winning Chili Recipe.
About five years ago, I won 2nd Place with my chili recipe in a Douglas County Chili Cook-off down in Castle Rock. I had to come up with a name for it when I entered. Since it was somewhat like my Dad’s “Chili Soup” that he used to make when I was growing up, but then again nothing like my dad used to make, I decided on “Toto, I Have A Feeling We’re Not In Kansas Anymore Chili”.
What makes this recipe different and delicious? You see, I’m a big Italian Sausage fan and just couldn’t resist throwing some into my family version.
With the wonderful mix of spices in this chili recipe, it doesn’t over power and seems to blend right into the mix. The usual suspects, pinto beans are present, but I also added in kidney beans for additional texture and color.
The key to any successful soup or stew recipe is good quality meat and spices and a long perking simmer. There’s always packets of chili seasoning you an buy at the store, but why not concoct your own.
This recipe includes a great spice combination for a rich flavored bowl of chili. I’m particularly proud of adding smoked paprika. I always like a little sweet, so this recipe contains a bit of brown sugar.
And then there’s some red wine.
Sprinkle with some grated cheddar and chopped cilantro, and serve with warm flour tortillas, saltine crackers, or even corn chips. Dig in.
Award Winning Chili Recipe
I hope you give this award winning chili recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite award winning chili recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
And if you’re looking for more comfort food soup and chili recipes, don’t miss my Soup Category. You’ll find lots of great recipes, including the most popular on my site for Hatch Green Chili with Pork.
More Beef Chili Recipes:
- Anthony Bourdain’s New Mexico Style Beef Chili
- Chipotle Bison Chili with Lime Crema
- Bourbon Beef and Bean Chili
- or make a Burrito with that left over Chili, Chili Burrito Recipe
The biggest reward a cook can have is hearing from fans.
Award Winning Chili Recipe
- 1 pound Ground sirloin
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage bulk
- 2 whole onions chopped
- 2 jalapeno pepper seeds and stems removed and minced
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 garlic clove chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 California bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cup Merlot Wine
- 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes fire-roasted is good here
- 28 ounce can Pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 14 ounce can Kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup water
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon beef bouillon
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add sausage, onion, sirloin, pork, jalapeno, green bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned. Add chili powder and next 10 ingredients (through bay leaves) and cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes and drained beans. Dissolve bouillon in water and add to chili. Add more water if necessary for consistency.
- Cover and cook on low for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
- Serving suggestions: grated cheese, saltine crackers, flour tortillas, corn chips, fresh chopped onion, thin sliced radishes.
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links.
Award Winning Chili Recipe … It’s What’s for Dinner.