This Award Winning White Bean Chili Recipe remains one of our favorite and cherished recipes. Combining chicken and Italian Sausage with lots of mouthwatering creamy ingredients, this is a crowd pleaser
Update: Winning the Michigan State Chili Championship, this recipe comes from my friend Richard. It’s a delicious white bean chili recipe that wonderful for feeding a crowd. Since I posted this recipe, Richard has passed away. RIP.
What Makes This Chicken Chili Recipe So Darn Special?
If you win a Championship, I would feel comfortable calling this one of the best white bean chicken chili recipes around. It’s a creamy white bean chicken chili (yes please) and it’s laced with Italian Sausage. It brings some heat with jalapeno peppers and a hint of sweet due to the sweet corn. And every time I’ve made it, people shower me with compliments. But before we get to the recipe.
How Did I Get This Recipe?
Can I see a show of hands of how many of you watch “Giada At Home” on Food Network??? … Ok, good…a few.
A couple of weeks ago I unwittingly posted a White Bean Chicken Chili recipe that I watched Giada make on her program. Delicious, so I quickly blogged, and confidently exclaimed that it was the best White Bean Chicken Chili EVER. Why? Because it’s a great recipe and it’s really really killer.
Let The smack down begin
Soon after the post, I received an email from Buffalo Dick over at “Opinions and Rectums, We All Have One” saying that he had an Award Winning White Bean Chili recipe. Well it appears that we had a White Bean Chili smack down on our hands. How could I resist a comparison. I promptly began the begging process for his recipe, gained his permission to blog about it and here’s my opinion (see he’s right, we all have one) about his Chili. This just might be the best White Bean Chili recipe EVER! Folks, my husband and I had a FIT over this recipe, right there at the dining room table – a FIT. I highly recommend you give this a try.
A great chili recipe for feeding a crowd, perfect for your Super Bowl party, or any excuse you have for gathering y0ur friends around your table. There are some special nuances about this recipe.
- Toasting cumin seed, love that idea.
- A combination of orange (or red) sweet bell pepper and green bell pepper
- 3 – 6 jalapeno peppers – choose your heat level
- Jarred Alfredo Sauce makes this a creamy white chicken chili. Using jarred makes it easy.
- The addition of Salsa Verde. You can make your own Homemade Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, it easy. Or use your favorite jarred version.
- The soup includes both chicken and Italian sausage – love all of that heartiness.
- Black olives and Parmesan cheese for garnish. Unique and a nod to the Italian sausage.
- This can also be made in the crockpot – great for making ahead and serving when the hungry crowd arrives.
I hope you give this recipe and try and if you do, please leave a comment about your experience. And thanks to “Buff” (Richard) for the inspiration to try another white chili recipe.
Award Winning White Bean Chili Recipe
I hope you give this white bean chili recipe a try and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And if you have a favorite white chicken chili recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Chili Recipes
- Hatch Green Chili Colorado Style
- Giada’s White Bean Chicken Chili
- Anthony Bourdain’s New Mexico Style Chili
- Black Bean Bison Chipotle Chili with Lime Crema
And if you’re looking for more, don’t miss my Soup category. You’ll find a ton of slurp-worthy recipes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds chicken thighs Boneless, skinless, seasoned with light salt and white pepper, cooked and cubed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 3-6 Jalapeno peppers seeded and fine chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage crumbled and browned.
- 2 15-oz cans chicken broth low sodium
- 30 ounces Great Northern white beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted
- 15 ounces sweet corn canned, drained
- 22 ounces Alfredo Sauce jarred. About a jar and a half
- 1 cup Salsa Verde your favorite brand, I prefer Jardines
- Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese for garnish
- Sliced black olives for garnish
Cut chicken thighs into bite sized pieces. Set aside. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil. When hot, add onion, and all peppers. Cook, stirring frequently until onion starts to look translucent. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant. Less than 1 minutes.
Tear the Italian sausage into pieces and add to vegetable mixture. When fat starts to render, add pieces of chicken. Stir and cook until meat is just undercooked. Drain fat.
At this point, if you want, add the ingredients to a slow cooker. Or you can continue with stove top cooking.
Heat a small dry non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook just until fragrant. Add to soup.
Add chicken broth, beans, spices, Alfredo sauce, salsa verde and corn. Heat through until meat is cooked and flavors are well blended. About 40 minutes on medium low. Stirring frequently.
If you’re using a crockpot. After adding meat and vegetable mixture. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low 3 – 4 hours.
Garnish when served in bowls with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, and sliced black olives. Drizzle with chile oil for some color and even more flavor.
Pin Award Winning White Bean Chili Recipe for later