Sopa Ranchera, a Ranch Style Chicken Soup is hearty and healthy with potatoes, savory with chicken breast and brimming with Mexican spices. A flavorful bowl of Southwestern goodness for when you need a healthy clean-eating soup recipe.
We’ve been eating like Lumberjacks. It started sometime in mid-September. The calorie and fat flood gates were opened and it’s been a steady river of deliciousness since. Its come to a screeching hault as of yesterday. It’s time to take a break and eat clean and healthy over the next couple of weeks, so that the Holiday food gluteney be welcomed with confidence and cheer.
The easiest way for us to eat clean without skimping on flavor is a big bowl of soup. Lots of broth, lots of vegetables and lean meats make for a satisfying meal. Here’s a recipe that I found in the January 1999 issue of Cooking Light Magazine and it’s been one of our favorites over the years.
This Sopa Pollo, or Sopa Ranchera recipe, hearty with potatoes, corn, zucchini and chicken breast and seasoned with cumin, Mexican oregano and cilantro, is a flavorful bowl of soup. Don’t forget a squeeze of lime just before serving. You’ll love a kick of zesty citrus to finish the dish.
Recipe for Sopa Ranchera, A Ranch Style Chicken Soup
I hope you give this hearty ranch style chicken soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite hearty chicken soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Sopa Ranchera, Ranch Style Chicken Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 C potatoes cubed
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas drained
- 2 Cups chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can yellow corn or 1 cup frozen
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small zucchini quartered lengthwise and and cubed
- 1 15 /12 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- finely chopped onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- limes wedges
- In a saucepan, cover the cubed potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes. Add oregano, cumin, and garlic; sauté until fragrant. Add the potatoes and the cooking water, chicken stock to equal 6 cups liquid, and chickpeas; bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes. Add chicken, corn, salt, and zucchini; cook 5 minutes. Stir in tomato and cilantro; cook 2 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and top with 1 finely chopped onion, cilantro, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and shredded cheese. Serve with lime wedges.
Looking for more Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe Ideas? Take a look at:
Sopa Ranchera Mexican Chicken Soup …It’s What’s for Dinner.