Classic Chicken Soup becomes colorful and interesting by adding chunks of sweet potato. Sweet, salty and savory, give this Classic Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes a try.
Under the weather? Feeling puny? Classic Chicken soup …a cure for the common cold? Could be, and it sure defines a comforting meal for any Winter evening. The aromas alone are enough to soothe the soul and the hot broth make any scratchy throat feel better.
A steamy bowl of vitamin-packed vegetables swimming in a savory broth alongside chunks of chicken and floating herbs and spices and you’ve got a classic easy homemade soup.
Years ago, I learned to add small chunks of sweet potatoes to make the combination even more interesting. Did you know that a sweet potato is a member of the bindweed, morning glory family? Makes sense since we plant these beautiful vines in our Summer patio pots and hanging baskets. It’s a vigorous grower and makes a big splash. You can eat the tubers from these plants, but the texture and flavor won’t be as good as commercially grown plants used for produce that you’ll find in our markets.
With that said, let’s take a look at this healthy soup recipe.
Recipe for Classic Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato
I hope you give this version of Classic Chicken Soup a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And please leave a comment about your experience with this recipe.
And if you have a favorite version of chicken soup, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More healthy chicken soup recipes
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup
- Poblano Lime Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup Done Right
Classic Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and small cubed
- 1 medium parsnip peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breast cooked and shredded
- In fry pan, saute chicken breasts in olive oil until almost done. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, sweet potato and parsnips for 2 minutes to enhance the natural sugar in them.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until all the vegetables are tender. Add the fresh minced parsley and spices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in shredded chicken and serve.
Classic Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes …It’s what’s for Dinner.