This little jar of magic will keep your family in soup heaven during the Winter months. A incredible mixture of herbs and spices, this 15 bean soup seasoning mix is your secret weapon for soup season.
In this article, you’ll find a recipe for 15 bean soup seasoning and a recipe for basic 15 bean soup in the crock pot or stovetop.
15 Bean Soup Seasoning Mix
Haven’t we all received bean soup mixes for gifts? You know the ones, a bag of dried beans accompanied by an herb soup seasoning mix and they’re usually cleverly packaged.
Some in cute little bags, some in whisky looking jugs, some in Mason jars. A few of them are pretty good, but a lot of them are pretty darn bland.
With very little effort you can prepare your own homemade dried herb soup seasoning mix for a homemade 15 bean soup.
You’ll feel so smug with these secret weapons stashed away in your pantry. Ready to go all Winter.
All you need is this bean soup seasoning recipe and a supply of dried beans.
I can guarantee you won’t call this spice mix for bean soup bland.
Gathering dried beans for a season of comfort food
Always keep a container of mixed beans in your pantry. They’ll keep you warm and comfort food cozy all Winter long.
Keeping a supply of 15 bean seasoning and a container of mixed dried beans in the pantry and you are in soup heaven all season long.
Here’s where the fun begins. Head over to your local market, Whole Foods comes to mind, and pay a visit to their well-stocked bulk section.
Stroll the dried beans. Buy equal quantities of each and every dried bean you see. Don’t forget lentils and split peas.
A good store will have some lovely calico beans, tiny red aduki, and reddish-orange lentils. Just grab everything you see.
You’ll actually end up with more than 15 varieties for the 15 bean soup mix … all the more fun.
When you get home mix all the beans together fearlessly. Hopefully you’ve got at least ten varieties, sixteen or twenty even better.
Make sure you have a large container with a tight-fitting lid that will hold the loot, preferably clear, so that you can admire the beans colors and shapes.
This stash will last you all season … and beyond.
Recipe for Simple 15 Bean Soup
Now that you’ve gathered your beans and the 15 bean soup seasoning, the rest is a breeze.
On the first chilly day of the season, a big pot of this bean soup simmering on the stove, with it’s warm and cozy aroma, will make watching that cold wind blow a pleasure.
It’s heart, it’s filling and it’s pure comfort food.
It makes enough for an army, so it’s wonderful for left overs. And will freeze well to enjoy at a later date.
But don’t let the stove-top be your only option, I like making this 15 bean soup in the crock pot. Either way, it’s simple:
- Measure 2 cups mixed beans. Rinse and cover with enough water to cover beans by a couple of inches. Let soak over night.
- The next morning, drain liquid from beans and place either in a stove top kettle or a slow cooker.
- Pour in 4 cups of chicken stock.
- Mirepoix: 1 large onion, diced, 2 carrots, diced, 2 ribs celery, diced. Saute in olive oil until tender before adding to soup.
- Add meat of your choice. We like a couple meaty ham hocks here, or chopped ham. Or even cooked and crumbled bacon. If using ham hocks, once the soup is cooked, remove the ham hocks, shred the meat and return the meat to the soup and stir well. Discard bones.
- Add 3 bay leaves
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons of the 15 bean soup seasoning mix (recipe below)
- Cook the bean are tender. About an hour an a half stove top, or 6-8 hours on low in the crockpot.
- Once beans are tender add 28 ounces chopped canned tomatoes, drained and stir well.
- Riffs on bean soup: Substitute diced chicken thighs for the ham, or even cooked and drained sausage. Breakfast sausage or andouille cajun sausage would work nicely. Or for a vegetarian version, just leave the meat out. The seasoning mix provides plenty of outstanding flavor.
But don’t stop there, take a look at this recipe for Bean and Vegetable Soup. This recipe really shines for the ultimate bean soup recipe.
Recipe for Soup Seasoning Mix
This makes close to a quart. Enjoy.
I hope you give this recipe for 15 bean soup seasoning mix a try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating and leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite seasoning mix for soups, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Soup Recipes for 15 Bean Soup Seasoning
- Ham and Bean Soup Creamy Great Northern Beans, smoky salty chunks of ham, sweet corn bread and you’ve got a winning comfort food combination
- Bean and Vegetable Soup Light in calories yet packed with flavor. See this 15 bean seasoning at it’s finest. By adding lots of healthy vegetables.
Make a batch of this spice mix and use it in soups all Winter long.
- 1/2 Cup dried parsley
- 1/4 Cup dried summer savory Plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1/4 Cup cumin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon celery seeds
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Caraway Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Dill Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Cracked Coriander Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Sweet Basil
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Chervil
- 2 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Sage
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Lavender
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Sweet Marjoram
Mix all together and keep sealed in a Mason jar.
This makes close to a quart. Enjoy.
And speaking of snow flying.
As I’m writing this, we have 23 inches of snow on the ground. In another hour I’ll be able to officially say we have two feet. Denver is no stranger to large snow storms, it’s just unique for October. I mean Alaska probably hasn’t even had over 10 inches of snow yet. It’s just beautiful and I love our big storms. At the end of this post, you’ll find a gallery of photos of our Denver snow storm to get you in the mood for some soup.
About 15 inches on the Weber.
Pine trees are somewhere out there.
No birds at the bird bath?
No picnics at the patio table?
My little Sammy glad to have a shoveled area to explore the patio. Why does he only have snow on one side of his face?
Our neighbor Miguel … cheerfully shoveling snow.
Neighbors across the street … I think that’s their mini-van.
Snow fall is piling up.
Here comes the sun…here comes the sun, and I say….It’s alright …
15 bean soup seasoning Soup Seasoning, It’s whats for soup