Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe made in the Instant Pot. With Black beans, sweet corn and plenty of Mexican spices, this will soon become your favorite Mexican Chicken Soup.
I was taking with my neighbor at our last neighborhood wine night and the subject of food came up. Go figure. Anyway, one thing led to another and before you know it I found out he has an Instant Pot and loves it to make this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe and chicken wings.
Since that conversation I’ve tried both, his recipe for this soup and a recipe for spicy chicken wings that I created. Once again, the Instant Pot didn’t disappoint. I’ll be blogging about my chicken wings soon.
There are so many things to love about this Mexican Chicken Soup recipe
It feeds a crowd. This recipe makes about five quarts of soup. Being empty nesters, we enjoyed this for leftovers and then more leftovers.
The good news is that this soup freezes well, so you can have a stash to reheat when you need dinner in a flash.
The flavor is outstanding. And visually it’s beautiful and inviting. The red brick color and the spicy flavors come from the canned tomatoes, the chili powder and the single blend chile powder.
I’m reminded that chili powder with an “i” is a blend of spices created to use to flavor soups and stews. Chile with an “e” is a ground product made from a single chile pepper. Most commonly made from any variety of New Mexico chile peppers, ancho peppers or chipotle peppers. Ancho chiles are dried poblano peppers, and chipotle peppers are dried and smoked jalapeno peppers.
The soup is delicious all on its own, but the flavor is certainly elevated when you take a big spoon of sour cream and blend it into the steaming hot soup. Crunch some tortilla chips over the top and dig in. And it won’t hurt a thing to top with some fine diced fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Ole’ a beautiful Mexican Chicken Soup.
Pressure Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
I hope you give this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite Instant Pot Chicken Soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
We absolutely loved this soup and it will be a favorite of ours to serve this Fall and Winter. And so full of flavor, it’s a great soup for entertaining. This recipe was passed along to me from my next door neighbor who found the recipe over at Pressure Cooking Today. A great resource for Instant Pot and Pressure Cooking Recipes. I adjusted a few ingredients to reflect our love for Southwestern seasonings.
More Mexican Chicken Soup recipe ideas. You won’t want to miss these versions:
- Ranch Style Cream of Chicken Soup, with ground chicken and Hatch chile, this is a favorite.
- Chipotle Chicken Soup, a hearty Southwestern soup, hearty with hominy.
- Instant Pot Posole with Pork
- And this slow cooker version I found over at Boulder Locavore, Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup.
This is a Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe made in the Instant Pot. With Black beans, sweet corn and plenty of Mexican spices, this will soon become your favorite Mexican Chicken Soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced*
- 3 cloves garlic minced, pressed or grated
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces medium heat chunky salsa
- 2 14.5 ounce cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico Red Chile Powder or ancho chile powder
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley or 2 teaspoon dried
- 2 16 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce bag frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Select Sauté and add olive oil to the pressure cooker pot. When oil is hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. (under 1 minute)
Add remaining ingredients, except beans, corn and vinegar. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure, 8 minutes cook time and press start. (It will take about 20 minutes to come to pressure because there is so much liquid.)
- When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes, then do a quick pressure release.
Remove chicken breasts from soup and dice or shred. Return chicken to soup and stir in black beans, corn and cider vinegar.
- If necessary, select Simmer and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until beans and corn are heated.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips, if desired.
- If you’re in a hurry, you can substitute 2 tablespoons dried onion and 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic. Skip the sautéing and just add all the ingredients, except corn and beans, to the pressure cooking pot.
- *You can use frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, adjust cook time to 11 minutes.
Pin This Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe for Later