This easy Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Tostada recipe is a keeper. A copy cat recipe from Cafe Rio is great for tacos, burritos and even a salad. Made with Coke.
Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Barbacoa
Cafe Rio opened up in the Streets at Southglenn last year and we’ve yet to pay them a visit. I don’t know much about this Mexican fast food chain, but I do know about their sweet pork barbacoa because everyone makes such a fuss over it. Cafe Rio serves it in and on burritos, enchiladas, tacos, tostadas and salads and we really must stop in to give it a try.
When I found this copy cat recipe for Cafe Rio Sweet Pork I knew it would on our table pronto. Even though I’ve never paid Cafe Rio a visit, I do know that I adore the Costa Vida Sweet Pork recipe, which from what I understand is made with Dr. Pepper instead of Coke.
I went into this recipe strictly for the sweet pork experience. Much to my surprise I ended up finding a wonderful salad dressing, Heather’s Creamy Tomatilla Dressing. It’s really incredible with flavor and a keeper for other Mexican themed salads.
For Heather’s post, she had just received a mold to make corn tortillas salad bowl molds. She made a Mexican salad by placing a layer of refried beans, a healthy portion of the sweet pork, lettuce greens and then drizzled the whole thing with this tasty dressing.
I didn’t have taco shell molds, so I made tostadas.
So I made my own homemade tostada shells. So easy, and baked not fried, so that means healthier.
But don’t just sit there and look at it, bite into it quickly before all of those wonderful juices from the pork and the dressing break down that shell and it falls apart in your hand.
There was plenty of liquid from the braised meat, so I used it to dip soft corn tortillas, rolled them up with some of the sweet shredded pork, added lots of shredded cheese and baked them into Sweet Pork Enchilada heaven. Don’t forget a drizzle of that creamy Tomatilla Dressing for a great Mexican Dish.
This easy cafe rio sweet pork recipe is a keeper.
Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Recipe
I hope you give this copycat Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. and leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a pork roast recipe using Coke, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
- 2 pounds pork roast
- 1 can cola NOT diet
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup diced roasted and peeled Hatch Green Chile
- 1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can refried beans heated
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- Tomatoes fresh and chopped
- 1 avocado sliced or diced
- Put the pork in a reclosable bag to marinate, pour in half of the can of cola and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Marinate for 2 hours.
- Drain marinade and put pork, 1/2 can of cola, water, Hatch chile, enchilada sauce and garlic salt in crock pot on low for about 7-8 hours.
- Remove pork from crockpot and let cool until you can shred the meat.
- To build your tostadas, smear the refried beans onto tostada shells. Top with a generous portion of the shredded sweet pork, add lettuce, tomatoes and avocado. Drizzle with Tomatillo dressing.
For the dressing:
- 1 packet of ranch dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tomatillos husked and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice from 1 lime
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well blended.
Rio Cafe Sweet Pork Tostada with Creamy Tomatillo Dressing…It’s what’s for Dinner.