Combining yellow squash and zucchini with creamy goat cheese turns a Zucchini Squash Casserole into a pillowy light, creamy unique custard treat. Easy to prepare and a gluten free squash casserole, this a delicious side dish for any Summer meal thrown your way. You’re going to fall in love with this cheesy squash and zucchini casserole.
Are you feeling squashed from the weight of all the fresh Summer Squash and Zucchini that’s collecting on your kitchen counters? I didn’t plant this year, but others most certainly have and are being very generous in gifting their bounty to me.
One of the first zucchini recipes I make each and every year is this luscious baked zucchini squash casserole recipe. It’s truly one of most favorite Summer vegetable casseroles.
And its a gluten free zucchini casserole. The binding comes in the form of corn meal rather than bread crumbs.
With eggs, cheese and milk, the end result is more like a fluffy custard or a summer squash souffle.
What’s fun about this recipes, is that you an bake this zucchini casserole in a 8 x 8 casserole dish or in ramekins for individual servings.
If you’ve made your quota of zucchini breads and if you’re like me, had your fill of grilled, zucchini sautees I urge you to give this recipe a try.
Let’s take a look.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Zucchini squash and Summer squash.
- Goat Cheese.
- Olive oil.
- Dill, fresh or dried.
- Goat Cheese: If you simply don’t like goat cheese, choose another cheese that will melt well and retain it’s creamy texture. Cream cheese, Manchego, Boursin or Emmental are good suggestions.
Step by Step Instructions
Be sure to see the recipe card below for complete ingredients and instructions.
To Prepare The Squash
Simply wash the squash and then slice it about 1/4 inch thick. There’s no need to remove the skin from the squash. The skin is totally edible and adds color to the casserole.
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium high heat. Add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced squash and chopped onion. Cook until tender, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Step 2: Using a potato masher, mash the squash until partially mashed.
- Step 3: Add the goat cheese and butter and stir until cheese and butter are melted.
- Step 4: Mix in the cornmeal, eggs, milk, dill, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Step 5: Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Step 6: Using a large spoon, fill individual ramekins with the squash mixture. Place the ramekins on a sheet pan.
- Step 7: Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
You can also bake this casserole in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
This yellow squash casserole goes with about any Summery protein. Some of our favorites are:
- Grilled Chicken
- Grilled T-Bone Steaks
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin, or
- And we love it with Blue Cheese Burgers
Absolutely. Zucchini squash casserole is best served straight from the oven. But for any leftovers, place in the microwave and reheat at 50% power in 30 second intervals. Or place in a 250 degree oven and let it slowly heat back up.
This can be made up to a day in advance. Prep and prepare according to directions, but instead of baking, refrigerate covered tightly with foil.
Yes. Cover the individual ramekins or the casserole dish with plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months. Let the casserole thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Yes. The thickening agent here is corn meal rather than flour.
Pro Tip: Use a mandolin to slice the squash. This will insure that each slice is uniform in size and will cook evenly.
Store any leftovers in an air-tight container, or in the original casserole or ramekin covered with plastic wrap. It will keep for 4 days.
And if you’re looking for even more side dishes for picnic style gatherings, don’t miss this line-up of Summer cook-out sides. I’m positive you’ll find something you love. Or pay a visit to my Side Dish Category. You’ll find lots of great recipes.
Zucchini Squash Casserole
- 2 Summer squash or zucchini sliced into ½- rounds (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill plus sprigs for garnishing, or 1 tablespoon dried dill.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat the olive oil in a frypan. Add in the squash and onions and cook over medium-high heat, covered, until tender, about 10 – 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Mash slightly with a potato masher or large fork.
- Add the goat cheese and butter while still hot and stir until melted.
- Mix in the cornmeal, eggs, milk, dill, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour into an 8-by-8-inch baking dish or 6 individual ramekins that have been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 40 minutes (35 minutes for the ramekins) or until golden brown on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Summer Zucchini Squash Casserole …It’s What’s for a Side Dish.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.