Citrus curds are simple and straightforward to make. You just need some sugar, a lot of egg yolks and the desire to present an impressive creamy dessert. This Fresh Peach Curd was a perfect pairing for some Basil Sugar Whipped Cream.
Curds. Creamy, zesty, buttery, not too sweet. A perfect dessert in my books. It doesn’t have to be fancy, but that beautiful, luscious, custard-like filling certainly would welcome any decadent topping idea that you can come up with.
But what exactly is a curd? It’s a custard of sorts, one that’s stirred, it doesn’t have any cream or milk, it contains a sugar, butter and lots of egg yolks. And it’s absolutely special.
Curds have been made famous by lemons, but I decided to substitute and use some of my Colorado Western Slope Peaches.
For this peach curd, I kept it pretty simple. A homemade Pate Brisee pasty crust filled with a simple curd of pureed fresh peaches, butter and a little lemon zest. Basil and peach are great partners, so I topped the tart with basil sugar whipped cream.
Using a tart pan instead of a pie pan makes this elegant in appearance. Out of the blue, I’ve become obsessed with everything about tarts. Savory or sweet, their charm, their shape and the thinner structure than what a pie dish offers has me smitten. Don’t own a tart pan I’ve included an affiliate link for your convenience. I’m a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. If you purchase this tart pan through this link, I receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Chef’s Tip: Once the butter is incorporated, always strain curd. This will give you a perfectly creamy smooth texture.
More Fruit Tart Recipes
- Lemon Tart Recipe with Sour Cream Celebrate citrus and fall in love with the combination of lemon and sour cream.
- Strawberry Tart Recipe with Lemon Cream Cheese Filling This is easy to make and a perfect dessert for fresh strawberry season.
- French Pear Tart Bourdaloue French Pear Tart with apricot rum glaze for a finishing touch of color and pure delightful flavor. Impress with this beautiful dessert.
And if you’re looking for more dessert recipes, don’t miss my Dessert Category. You’ll find lots of sweet treat recipes. Including the most popular dessert recipe on my site for Cherry Delight, Cream Cheese Cherry Dessert.
Beautifully delicious in all of its simplicity, let’s take a look:
Peach Curd Tart with Basil Sugar Whipped Cream
- 5.25 ounces Unsalted Butter
- 4.5 ounces Sugar
- 4.5 ounces Peaches peeled, pitted and pureed
- Zest from 1/2 of a lemon
- 4.5 ounces Egg Yolks
- 1 Pie Crust
- 8 ounces Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil
- Gather all ingredients and equipment. Using a kitchen scale, scale all ingredients.
- Combine 1/2 of the butter and half of the sugar, pureed peaches and lemon zest and bring to a boil, stirring gently.
- Whisk yolks with the remaining sugar. Temper 1/3 of the hot mixture into the yolks and sugar mixture, while whisking. Then add this mixture back into the saucepan.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly with the whisk, until mixture comes to a boil. Whisk in the remaining butter.
- Strain the thickened curd into a bowl using a fine mesh sieve. Place plastic wrap on top of the curd and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the pie crust into a 9 inch tart pan. Dock the dough with a fork. At this point you’re going to blind bake the crust. Place parchment paper over the dough and fill the parchment paper with dried beans. (This will keep the pie crust from bubbling up) Bake for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and beans, lower heat to 350 and bake a few more minutes, or until pie crust is just turning golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- In the meantime make the whipped cream. In a mixer beat the cream on high until it thickens into whipped cream. In a food processor, mix the confectioner’s sugar and the fresh basil. Add the sugar mixture to the whipped cream and mix on low until blended. Taste and adjust flavors. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- With a spatula spread the peach curd onto the tart. Garnish with fresh peach slices and a dollop of the Basil Sugar Whipped Cream.
Peach Curd Tart with Basil Sugar Whipped Cream … It’s what’s for Dessert