Put your crockpot to work for these wonderfully easy BBQ Chicken Sliders. Classic in flavor with a tangy twist, and popular with all. This is an easy sliders recipe to feed that party crowd.
Bookmark, pin, copy and paste …we do it all the time to save recipes we want to try. But haven’t you run across a recipe that as soon as you lay eyes on it, there’s no need to even close out the screen because you know you’ve got to make it right away?
That’s what happened to me when I this recipe for BBQ Chicken Sliders over at Penny’s Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen.
This is one of those perfect recipes when you need to feed a crowd. Crockpot easy, full of sweet and tangy flavor, I can’t imagine anyone turning up their nose at this one. It’s perfect.
Who can argue with little hand held pulled chicken sliders topped with a scoop of Creamy Classic Crunchy Cole Slaw? Easy to eat and easy on the palate.
Let your slow cooker do all of the work and to please that crowd.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breasts
- Pineapple Juice
- Hot Sauce: Your favorite brand.
- Onion: A sweet onion or yellow onion is recommended.
- BBQ Sauce: Your favorite brand.
- Brown Sugar: Either light brown sugar or dark brown sugar will work here. Dark Brown Sugar will give you a richer molasses -ish flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Slider Buns
Ingredient Subs and Swaps
- Pineapple Juice: I recommend using pineapple juice for this recipe, but if you want, substitute orange juice.
- Vinegar: You can use about any type of vinegar here. White vinegar will work just fine, a red-wine vinegar would be a good choice, and if you have Sherry Vinegar, give that a try. Sherry vinegar will bring a special and beautiful rich flavor.
- Buns: The end flavor of this bbq chicken is a sweet one, so I usually choose regular slider buns. But for a sweeter experience, Kings Hawaiian Slider buns would be a popular choice.
Step by Step Instructions – It’s SO Easy
Let your slow-cooker do the work for you by simply adding boneless skinless breasts and bbq sauce, voila = easy bbq chicken sliders.
- Step 1: Add pineapple juice, hot sauce, ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce to a small bowl.
- Step 2: Using a fork or a whisk, mix and stir until well blended.
- Step 3: Add the chicken breasts and quartered onions to the crockpot.
- Step 4: Pour in the BBQ Sauce mixture. Cook on low for 1 hour, then turn heat down and cook for 3 hours.
- Step 5: Remove the cooked chicken to a cutting board or sheet pan. Using two forks, shred the chicken for the pulled chicken sliders. Shred small enough to fit on a slider bun. Add about a cup of the sauce from the crockpot and stir well.
BBQ Chicken Sliders, FAQ’s
No. Unfortunately this is not a dump it and leave it type of meal to cook all day for when you get home from work. Unlike tougher pieces of meat like a pot roast, you can over-cook chicken breasts. Even though they’re swimming in liquid, cooking chicken breasts too long will result in a dry texture. Don’t cook the chicken more than 4 hours.
Absolutely yes. But make it easy on yourself and use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. If you use skin on, the sauce will end up too greasy. Chicken thighs are dark meat, making them more flavorful, and a less expensive option. Due to their texture, they just won’t shred in the same “fall-apart” manner as breasts. If you use thighs, no need to alter the cooking times for this recipe.
If you’re short on time, rotisserie chicken would be a good option for pulled chicken sliders. Just place the bbq sauce ingredients into a medium saucepan. Simmer the bbq sauce for about 15 minutes so that it will blend flavors and thicken. Add the shredded chicken and heat through.
Absolutely not. Unless you want to risk salmonella poisoning. Only used thawed chicken for any crockpot chicken recipe. Why? Frozen chicken will not likely reach the temperature of 165 within the “safe window” of time in a crockpot. It’s just too risky.
That’s completely up to you. Use your favorite brand. For us, I usually grab Stubbs Brand. For a very special treat, make your own bbq sauce like I do for BBQ Meatballs. It’s totally scrumptious.
Pro Tip: Some chicken breasts are injected with a water solution for “plumping” reasons. If you have purchased these you will find it swimming in liquid once it’s cooked. Purchase high quality chicken breasts (recommended) for this recipe. You’ll find the chicken at Whole Foods or reputable quality butcher shops are natural without injected liquids. The end result will be a chicken cooking in natural juices.
What Goes With BBQ Chicken Sliders
In a perfect world, we’d have access to fresh grown sweet corn and watermelon year round. Here are some other side dish ideas if you’re making this recipe during Winter months.
- Smoked Mozzarella Penne Pasta Salad, very popular recipe.
- Blue Cheese Potato Salad with Bacon
- Spicy Baked Beans
- Mexican Mac and Cheese
Coleslaw seems like a natural for a traditional topping for these bbq chicken sliders. But have some fun and offer guests a selection of toppings.
- Smashed avocado.
- Dill pickles or spicy pickles.
- Slices of fresh or pickled jalapeno.
- Red Onion. Even though you have cooked onion in the cooked bbq sauce, a slice of red onion for a topping will add a nice crunch and bold flavor.
- If you want to add a creamy topping experience, consider a drizzle of Jalapeno Aioli.
If you’re looking for an incredibly easy slider recipe to feed a crowd, consider this bbq chicken slider recipe. It’s such a great recipe for feeding a football crowd, or to take to a pot luck gathering.
It’s an easy sliders recipe that is guaranteed to wow that crowd.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 2 pounds Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium onions peeled and cut into fourths
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Tabasco sauce to taste abut 4 shakes for us
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 Slider buns
- Spray inside of crock pot with cooking spray. Add chicken breasts and onion. Mix sauce ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Cook chicken on high for 1 hour. Turn to low setting and cook an additional 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with two forks.
- Add about a cup of the sauce from the crockpot to the shredded chicken. If there's not too much liquid in the crockpot, return the meat to the pot and set on warm. Serve on heated or grilled buns with coleslaw or guacamole.
BBQ Chicken Sliders … They’re Whats For Dinner