Ready in about ten minutes, Jalapeno Aioli is simple to make, using simple ingredients, ad it’s simply crazy good with flavor. Use as a dipping sauce, drizzle some over your next burger, or over Mexican food to change up your taco game. Let’s take a look.
Technically, aioli must contain garlic to officially be called an aioli. But for this recipe, we’re throwing caution to the wind and creating a creamy, sassy magical sauce that you’ll want to serve over and over again.
Any aioli recipe goes well with just about anything from fried foods to poached meats to even raw vegetables.
And with this spicy version the sky is the limit to its uses.
Using purchased mayonnaise makes this a quick fix. The heat comes from diced jalapeno peppers, and adding a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro makes this a winner.
Let’s take a look at how to make simple jalapeno mayonnaise.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Jalapeno Pepper
- Purchased Mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper
Ingredient Substitutions and Swaps
- Mayonnaise: Substitute reduced-fat mayonnaise to save calories and fat grams. And instead of bought mayonnaise, you most certainly can make your own homemade mayonnaise for this recipe. I like this article from Epicurious.
- Cilantro: If you simply don’t like cilantro, omit it. Add a good amount of chopped fresh chives as a substitute.
- Jalapeno Pepper: Substitute Serrano Chile peppers for the Jalapeno peppers, keeping in mind that Serrano chile peppers are hotter than jalapenos.
How To Make Jalapeno Aioli
- Step 1: Place mayonnaise in a medium bowl and then add diced jalapeno peppers. A small dice works well here to maximize flavor.
- Step 2: Add chopped cilantro to the jalapeno and mayonnaise.
- Step 3: Add lime juice and salt and pepper
Step 4: Stir until well blended.
Tips and FAQ’s
The heat from any chile pepper comes from the veins and the seeds. Those can be easy to remove in a sturdy jalapeno pepper. Just cut the top off the pepper and insert the handle of a skinny spoon or fork and use it to scrape out the seeds and veins. All you have left is that wonderful jalapeno flavor, with just a little bit of heat.
Make this jalapeno aioli a day ahead of when you’re planning on serving. It’s one of those recipes that will benefit from an evening in the refrigerator for the flavors will marry.
Jalapeno Aioli will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days. Store in an airtight container.
This is a good recipe to practice those knife skills. Chop the jalapeno pepper into small pieces and as evenly as you can. The same goes with the cilantro. Small pieces will distribute flavor more evenly.
Did you happen to get an extra hot jalapeno pepper which created a sauce that’s too spicy? Add more acid. Either more lime juice or even a splash of vinegar. It will trick your taste buds into a milder experience.
How To Use Jalapeno Aioli
Jalapeno Aioli is a great topping for a Colorado Jalapeno Mayo Burger. How do you build that burger?
- Grill quarter pound burgers using prime grade ground beef.
- Add a slice of fresh tomato.
- One slice of bacon that’s been broken in half.
- American or cheddar cheese.
- Two thin slices of avocado.
- And top with a dollop of Jalapeno Aioli.
- And don’t forget to dip those fries in the aioli.
- Use jalapeno aioli as a dipping sauce for Baked Shrimp.
- Drizzle on Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- Use it as a dipping sauce for Chicken Fingers
- Use it as a dipping sauce for Grilled Sweet Potato Fries
- Drizzle over Fish Tacos with Cod.
- And, I’d like to try it in a pasta salad.
Recipe for Jalapeno Aioli
I hope you give this jalapeno mayo recipe a try. Its fresh and just right spicy.
Looking for more spicy aioli recipes? Don’t miss this one for Chipotle Mayo.
And if you’re looking for more spicy recipes for your meal plan, take a look at my Mexican Food Category. You’ll find lots of fun recipes, including the most popular on my site for Hatch Green Chile with Pork.
More Recipes Using Jalapeno Peppers
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
Jalapeno Aioli Recipe
- 1 large jalapeño pepper diced. Or a serrano chile pepper.
- 1 tablespoon ime juice fresh squeezed
- 1 cup mayonnaise store bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Place mayonnaise in a medium bowl and then add diced jalapeno peppers. A small dice works well here to maximize flavor.
- Add chopped cilantro to the jalapeno and mayonnaise.
- Add lime juice and salt and pepper
- Stir until well blended.
Jalapeno Aioli … It’s Whats for Dipping and Dollop-ing
John / Kitchen Riffs says
This looks terrific! Love aioli, and love jalapenos. Put them together and you have one great dish. Excellent recipe — thanks.
Looks delicious Chef. Aioli is so easy to make, I don’t know why we don’t make it often – maybe it’s just too easy to just smear on plain mayo.