Smoked Salmon Spread, homemade. After making this smoked salmon spread you’ll never purchase it from the store again … ever. Simple ingredients, and simple to make. Perfect appetizer for any type of party. A perfect appetizer for Wine tasting parties.
In the past, whenever I was feeling wealthy, I’d pick up a small tub of Whole Foods Smoked Salmon Spread. Always a treat and considered an indulgence.
But thanks to Larry over at Big Dude’s Eclectic Ramblings, I can have my cake and eat it too with this delicious homemade smoked salmon spread. It yielded twice the amount for less than half the cost.
I served this at our Super Bowl Party and upon first bite my friend Cauleen exclaimed, “This is delicious…is it Ina’s recipe?” I simply replied, “Actually no, it’s Larry’s“. In a blink of an eye, and no questions asked, Larry became one of those famous chef’s that are referred to on first name basis. Well, at least famous in our house…and on that day…and for probably 8 seconds. Let’s take a look.
How To Make Smoked Salmon Spread With Cream Cheese
With softened cream cheese, this comes together in a jif. And everyone who tried it at our party, took the time to comment on how good it was. Although Larry smoked his own salmon for this recipe, I just picked up a package of smoked salmon at the grocery store. Can you imagine how good it would be if you took the time to smoke your own?
- All you need is 8 ounces of smoked salmon. Just pick up your favorite brand next time you’re at the store.
- Let an 8 ounce package of cream cheese come to room temperature.
- In a bowl add the cream cheese and 8 ounces of sour cream. Blend the two together.
- Add two tablespoons fine diced onions. Shallots would be good here also.
- Add some flavoring: 1 tablespoon lemon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce.
- Drain but don’t rinse 4 Tablespoons of capers. Chop them up a bit.
- Add 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons of dried dill.
- This is better if allowed to rest overnight.
- Save a few capers to decorate the top and serve with your favorite cracker.
What Goes With Salmon Spread?
I happen to favor a good-ol’ Ritz Cracker. But here are some other ways to answer your question of what to serve with salmon spread:
- Water Crackers. They have less flavor which lets the flavor of the salmon spread shine.
- Endive leaves. Just separate the leaves from a head of endive. Rinse and pat dry and add them to your platter with the salmon spread in the middle.
- Sturdy dip-able veggies. Carrot strips, celery sticks, thick sliced cucumbers and even sugar snap peas.
- Crostini. Just slice a French baguette and brush both sides with oil. Place the bread slices on a sheet pan and broil each side until lightly toasted. This should take less than a minute per side. Watch them closely so they don’t burn.
- Bagels, of course!
- Rye Crisp Crackers make for an interesting flavor combo and a nice texture. Triscuit crackers are always a good choice.
Recipe for Smoked Salmon Spread
I hope you give this make ahead smoked salmon spread recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And if you have a favorite smoked salmon appetizer recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Smoked Salmon Recipes
- Smoked Salmon Appetizer Platter
- Smoked Salmon Pasta Salad with Dill
- Savory Scones Appetizer with Smoked Trout
And if you’re looking for even more appetizer recipe ideas, don’t miss my Appetizer Category. You’ll find tons of ideas. And the most popular appetizer recipe on my site, Pear and Blue Cheese Crostini. You gotta try that one.
Once you try this recipe, you’ll never buy store bought again.
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 Tablespoon finely diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons roughly chopped capers drained but unrinsed
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- Mix all together, let set over night and adjust for flavor.
Looking for more smoked salmon appetizer ideas? Take a look at:
Smoked Salmon Spread …It’s What’s For A Party!