Chipotle peppers kick up this homemade Pimento Cheese Spread for a Smoky appetizer treat. You’ll never buy store bought again.
Looking for a great little cracker and spread idea to impress your football watching guests this weekend? Take a look at this one.
I think I tried bottled Pimento Cheese Spread once and promptly filed it in the “didn’t like” section of my mental food file. When Larry over at Big Dude’s Eclectic Ramblings posted his wife Bev’s Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip, it looked so good that I knew I had to give it 2nd chance. His sentiments to my comment was “warning, you’ll never buy store-bought again”. Sold!
With its hearty flavor and served with crackers, this would be a great addition to any tailgating party, or with its slight heat, a nice warm-up appetizer to a chili dinner with friends. This even works nice as a spread to compliment a good sandwich. Let’s take a look.
Bev’s recipe was more about directions that an exact accounting of ingredients, so here’s what I did with ingredients I had on hand.
Lots of grated cheese = divine.
I found Italian bull horn and pimento peppers at our farmer’s market. You can also use roasted red bell pepper from the olive bar or a jar of pimentos. If you’re using a purchased roasted red pepper, grab the biggest one you can find.
Recipe for Smoky Pimento Cheese Dip
I love the smoky flavor the chipotle peppers add not to mention the sweet earthy flavor that the roasted pimentos and bullhorns bring to the party. I took it to an afternoon barbecue and I think it lasted all of ten minutes…and we’re even were a polite bunch!
More Cheese Spread Cheese Dip Recipes
I hope you give this pimento cheese dip recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and leave a comment and give the recipe a star rating. I value your opinion and love to hear from my readers.
Homemade Smoky Pimento Cheese Spread Recipe
- 1 Cup shredded White Tillamook Cheddar shredded
- 1 Cup shredded Sharp Yellow Tillamook Cheddar
- 2 roasted Italian Bullhorn red peppers peeled and chopped or 1 large roasted red bell pepper jarred or from the olive bar
- 1 roasted pimento or one small jar - drained, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 - 3 Chipotle peppers in adobo chopped, deveined and seeded to avoid too much heat
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chopped onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grate both cheeses and place in a large bowl. Roast bell peppers until charred and then place in a plastic bag to cool. When you're able to handle them, peel off the charred skins and chop. Or use jarred or purchased roasted red bell pepper and jarred pimento. Add them to the cheese along with the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Serve with crackers.
Looking for more homemade spread dip recipes. Take a look at this
Bev’s Smoky Pimento Cheese Dip It’s What’s for a Party.