This shrimp wonton cups appetizer is easy, lovable and delicious. Wow your crowd with these wonderful little bites. Baked and loaded with tender sweet shrimp, bell peppers, onions and Cheese. Simply irresistible, take a look at how easy this recipe is to make.
This recipe was first published in May of 2014 and updated September 2021 with new photos and step by step instructions.
Let’s Talk Appetizer Strategy
Why not add a devilishly clever surprise to your game day appetizer plans this year…like this Chipotle Shrimp Wonton Cups appetizer.
They’re easy to make. And the only special equipment you need is a mini-muffin pan.
Simply press the wonton wrappers into the muffin tin and bake until they’re golden and crisp. After they’ve cooled, fill them with a savory spicy mixture of Chipotle seasoned shrimp, cheese, peppers and onions.
Bake until the mixture is steamy and the cheese is melted and dig in.
Let’s find out more about these shrimp wonton treats.
“But They’ll Take Hours” you say?
Nonsense! These little small bites come together quickly.
Purchased wonton wrappers, or egg roll wrappers from the store make these an easy task when pressed into a mini-muffin pan.
They take just minutes to bake and once the chopping and dicing is finished for the filling, this is a no-fuss recipe.
Ingredients To Make This Shrimp Wonton Cups
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed and cooked
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- Wonton Wrappers
Ingredient Swaps and Substitutions
- Shrimp: Substitute cooked chicken breast for the cooked shrimp. And if you really want to go all out, substitute crab meat for the shrimp.
- Cheese: Any good melting cheese will work for. Muenster is a good choice, or cheddar cheese will work very well. I’ve even made this recipe with cream cheese = really yummy.
- Bell Pepper: Any color of bell pepper will work for this recipe. Even a poblano pepper will add ever more zip to this recipe.
- Wonton Wrappers: Can I substitute egg roll wrappers for wonton wrappers? Absolutely yes. They’re made using the same ingredients, they’re just a different size. Egg roll wrappers are easier to find and all you need to do is cut them to size. It’s an easy task.
- Cilantro: Some people simply don’t like cilantro. Just omit this ingredient if you’d like.
How To Make Baked Wonton Cups
If you can’t find wonton wrappers, simply place an egg roll wrapper on a cutting board. Egg roll wrappers are square, so simply fold them in half and gently press to make a seam. Using a sharp knife, cut along the seam. Fold them again and cut into perfect little squares.
You’re on your way to wonton appetizer bliss
It’s time to make the shrimp wonton cups by simply pressing them into a mini-muffin pan.
They’re read to bake. Pop the shells into the oven and bake until just browned. This will only take about 10 minutes. Once baked, the crispy wonton shell is thin and crispy yet sturdy enough to hold the filling.
Tips For Success
- Don’t fuss with them too much. If you press too hard the skins will stretch and tear. Use two hands and two fingers on each side of the wonton and press down at the outer rim of the muffin tin opening.
- I’ve also used a small wooden spoon that was similar in size to the cups of the pan to gently press the wrappers down into the pan. Whatever method you choose, be as gentle as you would when placing a pie crust into pie shell.
- Some will make perfect cups, and some will form pretty little folds. They’ll all hold the filling and the different shapes of each will make for a unique presentation.
Time To Make The Chipotle Shrimp Filling
- Step 1: Heat a fry pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add oil. Sautee the chopped onions and bell pepper until tender. Remove the cooked vegetables to a plate.
- Step 2: Add the shrimp to the same pan and sautee until cooked through. Remove the shrimp to a cutting board and chop into very small pieces.
- Step 3: In a bowl, combine the sauteed onions, bell peppers, chopped roasted bell pepper, chopped cilantro and chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Add the shredded cheese and stir well.
Finish Serve and Eat
Fill the baked wonton cups with the cooked shrimp and creamy cheese mixture. A grapefruit spoon works well here. Bake a few more minutes. They’re ready to serve.
Making this appetizer with wonton wrappers is fun, easy, and the flavor is savory and exciting.
Garnish with some lime and serve. And “Ándale! Ándale” dig in, because they’ll be gone Speedy Gonzales fast.
FAQ’s and Pro Tips
It’s very important to fine dice/chop all of the ingredients in this recipe. The wonton cups will be much easier to fill if you take the time to do so.
To make this even easier, use jarred roasted red bell peppers, or roasted red bell peppers from the olive bar.
If you’re worried about the heat factor with chipotle peppers, simple slice them open and lay them out flat. Using the back of a paring knife, scrape out the seeds and veins, as they carry the heat.
This recipe is easy to make a day in advance. Just prepare and bake the wonton cups the day before. Place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap to keep them fresh on the counter. You can also prepare the the filling the day before. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Just preheat your oven, fill the baked wontons with the shrimp mixture and bake until warm. This means they’re ready to serve the day of is only around 15 minutes.
These wonton cups are very neutral in flavor, so the sky is the limit with wonton filling ideas. Make them your own by switching out the protein, the vegetable and the cheese.
Storage and Reheating
If there are any leftovers, place the wonton cups on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator.
To Reheat: Place them back into muffin tin and gently reheat at in the oven at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes. Reheating these cups in the microwave is not recommended, the shells will become soggy or tough.
Recipe for Chipotle Shrimp Wonton Cups
These little shrimp wonton cups are perfect for any party thrown your way. Whether it be game day, Super Bowl or a wine tasting party, your guests will go crazy for these.
I hope you give this shrimp appetizer recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating and leave a message about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite shrimp wonton appetizer recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Some of our favorite shrimp appetizer recipes.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
Chipotle Shrimp Wonton Cups
- Mini muffin tin
- Olive oil or Pam
- 1-16 ounce package wonton skins
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil such as olive oil or canola
- 1/2 pound shrimp cooked, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped small and sautéed
- 1 smaller yellow bell pepper fine chopped
- 1 red bell pepper roasted peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 in chipotle pepper adobo sauce drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush mini-muffin pans with olive oil or spray with Pam. Press wonton skins into each cup. Bake about 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and let them cool.
- Heat a fry pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add neutral oil such as olive oil or canola. Add the chopped bell pepper, chopped onion and sautee until the vegetables are turning tender. Remove vegetables to a plate.
- Add shrimp to the pan and sautee for about two minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove shrimp to a cutting board and cut into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked shrimp, roasted bell peppers, onion, cilantro, chipotle pepper, chipotle sauce and cheese.
- Remove skins from muffin pan and while holding each skin in your hand, using a spoon fill with shrimp mixture. A grapefruit spoon works well here.
- Once filled, return each one to their slot in the muffin pan. Bake 7 – 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Skins and filling may be prepared in advance and assembled just before baking. Egg roll wrappers will work also. Just cut them into 4 equal squares.
- Makes 30 pieces. To make this even easier, I used jarred roasted red bell pepper.
Chipotle Shrimp Wonton Cups … Give These a Try.
Why Trust These Recipes? Lea Ann Brown has lived, worked and played in Colorado for 45 years. She has immersed herself in the Colorado Culinary space, is a Culinary School Graduate and publishes her Colorado food Blog, Cooking On The Ranch.