Over the last few months, I’ve become active on Google+. It seems more sophisticated than Facebook, more personal and less cryptic than Twitter, and it’s a great platform to interact with like-minded people around the globe.
When I first signed on my mission was to connect with foodies. With an invitation from Chef Dennis, who writes the blog A Culinary Journey with Chef Dennis, I subscribed to a group called “Google Plus Food Bloggers Community”. It’s a very organized forum where valuable information is exchanged about blogging. Not only did I connect, but in the six months that I’ve been a member, I’ve learned more about SEO, the Google+ platform, photography tips, and Wordpress themes, than I’ve learned anywhere else in my four years of blogging.
I’ve also become acquainted with some very good blogs to follow. One of those is The Unorthodox Epicure. Adam is the author, an entertaining and thought provoking writer, and a good cook. He lives in Texas and writes about things that annoy, humor, humble or inspire him. Always a good read and whatever the topic there is a great recipe to finish the post.
A few weeks ago he shared a recipe for this CrockPot Rotisserie Chicken. I read the post on a Saturday and it was in my crockpot on Monday. It’s delicious! And isn’t it always a treat to come home from work to a house smelling like savory comfort. The spices in this recipe are an incredible combination. And it’s almost as easy as grabbing a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. And of course tastier. After seasoning, the chicken is placed in the crockpot on a bed of sliced onions. Once cooked, Adam suggests that you take a bite of onion before serving. I did, and as you can tell, they were so good they ended up as a side dish with the meal.
Thanks for a great recipe Adam, this chicken will be a frequent visitor to our dinner table.
- For the Chicken:
- 1 – Broiler/Fryer Chicken (3-4 lbs)
- 1 – Medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 – Lemon, quartered (optional)
- ½ cup – Water or stock
- 1 tsp – Garlic powder
- 1 tsp – Onion powder
- 1 tsp – Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp – Kosher salt
- ½ tsp – Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp – Dried Rosemary, crushed
- ½ tsp – Black pepper
- ½ tsp – Chili powder
- Seasoning to sprinkle over chicken after it’s placed in the crockpot:
- 1 TB – Dried Paprika
- 1 TB – Kosher salt
- 1 TB – Old Bay Seasoning
- Combine all spices (garlic powder through chili powder) spices in small bowl. With your hands, loosen skin on chicken and distribute mixture evenly between meat and skin. Place lemon quarters in cavity of bird.
- Place onion in bottom of slow cooker. Add water or stock. Top with chicken — breast side down — so that (chicken) is not coming in direct contact with the bottom of the cooker.
- Sprinkle the paprika, salt and Old Bay over Chicken.
- Cook 6-7 hours on ‘low’ setting, or 4-5 hours on ‘high’ setting.
- With sides, this serves a family of five. (Strain and freeze the resulting stock, and make sure you treat yourself to the onions!)
Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken…It’s What’s for Dinner.