Wow, has this ever been a slow culinary week around our house. I really can’t come up with anything very bloggable at all. One night was a quasi-interesting tomato and fresh mozzarella pizza with a crust that we could have used to drywall the unfinished basement. Another was a lack luster whole wheat spaghetti concoction which produced only a single comment of “leaves a funny taste in your mouth!” Another evening we found take out and dried out sushi on the table. It’s been sad folks.
So, just as our local news channels do during a slow news week, I’ve come up with a whimsical piece as filler until some breaking news comes along.
Once our Colorado produce starts coming in, it seems like my mind-set automatically shifts towards Mexican food. Fresh and simple with lively colors and exciting flavors. I just don’t think there’s anything that showcases our state better, especially when the chile roasters get fired up. The aroma is intoxicating.
Pico de Gallo…yup, even a monkey could make this one and that’s exactly what this monkey did. Twice this week, I’ve chopped up fresh Early Girl tomatoes from my garden, diced some sweet onions and jalapenos and sat on the couch with my Costco 55-gallon drum of organic corn chips and enjoyed some delicious fresh fare.
Here’s my pico recipe, nothing earth shattering, but you pico purists will notice I use sweet yellow onion as opposed to red onion. Let’s take a look.
My Pico de Gallo
- 2 diced tomatoes
- ½ C. diced sweet onion
- 1 diced jalapeno, seeded and deveined for us
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 Hatch green chile, roasted and skin removed, chopped
- a sprinkle of dried Mexican oregano, or about a teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper and a smidge of sugar
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together. Taste and adjust any ingredients and flavors.
Pico de Gallo and a 55-gallon drum of Costco Corn Chips…It’s What’s for a Summer Snack.
On this day..
- Calico Beans - 2015
- Make Chinese Chicken Salad like a Champ - 2014
- Salmon Tacos, Cucumber Salsa and Grilled Mexican Corn - 2013
- Bobby Flay Texas Burger - 2010
- International Pinot Noir Celebration, Sparkling Brunch Finale - 2009