Pico de Gallo Recipe

Wow, has this ever been a slow culinary week around our house. I really can’t come up with anything very bloggable at all. One night was a quasi-interesting tomato and fresh mozzarella pizza with a crust that we could have used to drywall the unfinished basement. Another was a lack luster whole wheat spaghetti concoction which produced only a single comment of “leaves a funny taste in your mouth!” Another evening we found take out and dried out sushi on the table. It’s been sad folks.

So, just as our local news channels do during a slow news week, I’ve come up with a whimsical piece as filler until some breaking news comes along.

Once our Colorado produce starts coming in, it seems like my mind-set automatically shifts towards Mexican food. Fresh and simple with lively colors and exciting flavors. I just don’t think there’s anything that showcases our state better, especially when the chile roasters get fired up. The aroma is intoxicating.

Pico de Gallo…yup, even a monkey could make this one and that’s exactly what this monkey did. Twice this week, I’ve chopped up fresh Early Girl tomatoes from my garden, diced some sweet onions and jalapenos and sat on the couch with my Costco 55-gallon drum of organic corn chips and enjoyed some delicious fresh fare.

Here’s my pico recipe, nothing earth shattering, but you pico purists will notice I use sweet yellow onion as opposed to red onion. Let’s take a look.

My Pico de Gallo

2 diced tomatoes
1/2 C. diced sweet onion
1 diced jalapeno, seeded and deveined for us
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 Hatch green chile, roasted and skin removed, chopped
a sprinkle of dried Mexican oregano, or about a teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano
Salt and pepper and a smidge of sugar

Taste and adjust any ingredients and flavors.

Pico de Gallo and a 55-gallon drum of Costco Corn Chips…It’s What’s for a Summer Snack.

Comments

1. Russ says

I know I’m in the minority, but I just don’t like cilantro. It’s always tasted “weedy” to me. Everything else about this looks top-notch!

Slow week … slow summer here! Kinda over everything except for making salsa and grilling. M. looked at me the other day and sighed, “Is it chili season yet? I just want a bowl of chili.”

What’s the word on the Hatch crop this year? Wondering, with all of those fires, if they got enough rain.

Cheers!

Can’t believe you have tomatoes already – this is the slowest summer for mine and I’ve only had a handful of cherry tomatoes and exactly one so called Early Girl – jealous!

I don’t know what’s up Michele. I thought for sure it would be much later than this for mine. I have 6 more Early Girls that I’ll pick today.

Yum! This looks so good and homegrown tomatoes only make it better. My Early Girl has given us just a trickle of tomatoes and now there’s nothing, but from the looks of it about 20 of them will ripen at once. Feast or famine! I’ll have to use your salsa recipe when they do ripen.

This pico de gallo is part of the summer scenery. It is proof that summer has arrived, Beautiful. The 55-gallon drum of Costco tortilla chips made me smile. So true.

I am having a slow week at my house too (sigh). I need my food groove.

Velva

I went to an English to Spanish translation site hoping I could find your real name; your Spanish name Hola, Lea Ann is simply Lea Ann. You remind me of my friend Rachael, lafujimama.com. She is a true So California looking girl who has a love of all things Japanese and the only thing surprising on her site is when she goes a different direction!

I love that I can count on you for wonderful Mexican inspired dishes and with tomatoes coming in full on, nothing much beats the freshness of something like this pico de gallo.

LOL – I could love a 55 gallon drum of corn chips and a bowl of pico de gallo – and yours looks delicious! I’ve never added roasted chile pepper, but yum! You know what else I’d add don’t you? ;-) That shot of your sauce is very good – all my favorite colors!
    P.S. I’m laughing about the ho-hums in the kitchen – I find myself eating a lot of bread and olive oil or popcorn and wine.

They’ll be days like this my mama said – it happens in our kitchen too Lea Ann. Mexican is the perfect solution for putting a little sparkle into your week. This is the second Hatch pepper I’ve seen this week. I don’t think I know what they are. Maybe I’ll have to sneak over to Larry’s garden and “teeve” one. He’s closer than you are.

I agree Sam, but there were too many “days like this”. :) Hatch chiles are just mild chile peppers that claim to have a unique and delicious flavor due to the location they’re grown.

Looks good from here LA. We love pico and Bev’s never taste exactly the same way twice. As far as blogging, just do what I do and post something whether or not you have sometnig worthwhile :-)

The monkey’s from Rise of the Planet of the Apes find your comment “even a monkey” offensive. We have your name on record and the minute we get out of this lab, we are coming for you.

And don’t think you can sway us at the last minute with a bananas foster with rum sauced ice cream either….well, okay, maybe just this once.

You’ve inspired me! I can’t do the tomatoes, but I made some salsa verde instead. Somehow it helps with the heat we’re getting right now.

It tastes even better when the majority of the ingredients are grown in your own backyard. We even have a lime tree. Ms. Goofy wanted a couple of limes for margeritas, she now has limes for the whole neighborhood.