Moist Cornbread Recipe, and Delicious

When I was growing up, my father’s signature dish was his Chili Soup. On cold dark windy evenings in the middle of Kansas he would combine fried hamburger meat and chopped onion, pinto beans, tomatoes and seasonings of cumin, chili powder and oregano into a delicious bowl of soup. Simply topped with hand-crushed saltine crackers, it was certainly a treat.

Over the years I’ve enjoyed it with flour tortillas, corn tortilla chips, topped with cheese, sour cream or chopped green onions, even chocolate shavings and more recently served with cornbread. Chili seems to be a welcome canvas for so many toppings but to this day my favorite way to eat it is with crushed saltines or corn tortilla chips. How do you take your Chili Soup?

My love affair with corn bread got off to a very long, dry, grainy, stick in the throat start. Jiffy, Marie Calendar’s, and even homemade found me wondering what the attraction was. I’m very well aware that any of my friends that are from Texas, live in Texas, or even are married to a Texan wouldn’t hear of having a bowl of  chili soup without it, so started my search for a good corn bread recipe.

One day, out of the blue,  my good friend Linda, who is married to David from Texas, unwittingly brought over a pan of the most delicious and moist cornbread that I have ever tasted. I was an instant fan and finally understood what all the fuss was about. I’ve made her recipe several times and served it this past Sunday with my big pot of chili for our Superbowl Party. Let’s take a look.

Linda and Z

Linda’s Moist Cornbread Recipe

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs — beaten
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbs canola oil
1 can corn — drained
1 cup shredded cheese — mexican mix
3 Tbs pickled jalapenos — diced

1. Preheat oven to 375. Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and oil. Gently fold the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until a batter is formed. Fold in the corn, cheese, and pickled jalapenos.

2. Pour batter into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the crust is light-brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the heat and let cool a few minutes.

Servings: 12

I’ve had several of you ask me what the “Z” stands for in the title of my blog. Zia is our little Yorkie, whose name, soon after joining our family, was abbreviated to simply Z.  Zia hails from New Mexico, and as her sun symbol name implies, is a ray of sunshine in our life. This photo is Linda holding puppy Zia the day LeRoy delivered all 2 pounds of her to Colorado.

Linda’s Moist Cornbread…It’s What to Serve with Chili.

Comments

Actually David and Linda are my friends that live so very close to you. Zia is a little angel. I actually had a small bowl of chili for breakfast this morning. :-)

I’m not a big fan of cornbread for the reasons you stated, except when it’s hot out of the oven with a crusty exterior from the cast iron skillet, split open, and slathered with good butter. After that point I only eat it if I’m crumbling it into liquid or putting liquid on it. I grew up on soupy chili and Bev and I still make it that way. As a kid I often crumbled in so many saltines that they soaked up all of the liquid – still do it on occasion.

I’ve never made it in a cast iron skillet and want to do that next time. Yes, my chili is always soupy and you’ll always find lots of saltines in my bowl. :-)

I think chili is best served with cornbread and have been looking for a good recipe with corn in it forEVER! This recipe sounds super with cheese and chopped jalapeno peppers. Can’t wait to try this out on my guys. :) LOVE that picture of little Z. As they say in Texas – she is prayshus!

oh wow Z is too cute and great cornbread recipe yum love fresh corn bread and your Dads soup sounds lovely :-) looking forward to seeing you crepes oh u could do a chili one!

hi Lea Ann

if you would like to join us on the next recipe swap (we will be doing one a month) drop Christianna at Burwell General Store a note (link on my page) and she can sign you up. The more the merrier!

Have a nice night
    Dennis

Do you know, I’ve only had the dry kind of cornbread and was on the verge of trying out a yeast-based recipe. Linda’s recipe looks infinitely superior!

I hope you like it Liz. It’s in my recipe database and the only cornbread that I’ll eat. I wouldn’t mind trying a yeast-based recipe either.

I will definitely have to try this corn bread recipe. Ever since moving to the high altitude of CO all the cornbread recipes I have tried have been dry – I used to have great luck in KY. I’ll let you know how I do.

You are so right. I can’t say I’ve had a cornbread that wasn’t dry. Buttermilk and cheese have to make this a deliciously moist corn bread. Time to give corn bread another try with Linda’s recipe.

Kristi

I grew up in the south and freshly baked cornbread was on our dinner table almost every night. My mother’s recipe is similar to Linda’s, at least Linda’s basic recipe but without the corn, cheese and peppers, always baked in a well seasoned black iron skillet. She always used buttermilk and my father saved a piece of cornbread to have crumbled with cold buttermilk before bed.

I was shocked when I married a Yankee to find out northern cornbread is sweet and eaten at breakfast with syrup. There are definitely sugar issues that divide the north from the south. Great post Lea Ann. You’ve certainly brought back memories for me.

Sam, I really know nothing about corn bread. It really wasn’t part of my family history at all. I think growing up on a wheat farm (as opposed to a corn farm) always found flour based bread on our table. When I finally started having some, here and there, someone did serve it with syrup, which I didn’t really like at all. I must be a Southerner at heart. :-) As always, thanks for the comment.

Count me as one of those Texans that just doesn’t like cornbread much, but with your endorsement I might be tempted to try this. I must confess I love me some Jiffy spoonbread.

I never used to be a big fan of cornbread, but now I like it if it’s not too dense. Your recipe sounds real good. I always use a copy cat Marie Callender’s, which also has flour in it to lighten up the cornmeal. Z’s a baby doll!

Thanks so much Karen, she’s a very spoiled babydoll. :-). I think I’ve used a Marie Calendar recipe too and thought it was pretty good. As always thanks for stopping by.

11. Kristie Messick says

I tell you what I put in my cornbread, I saute some diced onion in some butter until soft. I add that to my recipe and I also add cream corn or whole kernel
    corn whatever mood I am in and I put sour cream in little dollops on top of the mixture after I have put it in the pan and I swirl it around so it’s not one big glop and then I put shredded Mexican Cheese on top. I put Jalapeno also. Fabulous!!!!
    So good you might try and add to your recipe……….:)
    Kristie

I love the addition of onion and the creamed corn. I was thinking about switched to creamed next time I make it. This time I swirled some honey into the the top of the raw biscuits. Love your idea of the dollops of sour cream. Thanks for the comment and the ideas. Sounds WONderful Kristie