This is a recipe for Pear and Walnut Salad with Blue Cheese and Cranberry Vinaigrette. A super easy salad to put together. Beautiful in appearance and laced with incredible flavors. This pear walnut salad is perfect for any fall entree, and for the Holidays. Especially good with pork tenderloin.
Pear Salad, perfect Fall side salad
I can’t think of a better Fall salad combination that pears and walnuts. Add some blue cheese, and a cranberry vinaigrette and you’ve got a perfect fall side.
Very festive for this time of year, and absolutely delicious and the blue cheese pear combo is a killer in this.
If you can find red pears, like Anjou pears, your salad will be even that more impressive presentation. But obviously you can use any pear you’d like.
The recipe calls for tossing the pears in orange juice. Not only for a little additional flavor, but this will keep the pears from turning color if you’re assembling 30 minutes or so ahead.
Which makes this salad a great make-ahead side salad while you prepare your main course.
Blue Cheese, Bleu Cheese or Gorgonzola Cheese?
Bleu cheese, or blue cheese is a category of cheese that contains the mold Penicillium. Gorgonzola is a specific type of blue cheese from Northern Italy.
Both are used extensively in cooking and are very popular with wine and food. Gorgonzola has a unique taste and appearance. Both blue cheese or gorgonzola will work beautifully for this salad. And are a perfect cheese pairing for pears. Both are sharp and salty with a strong smell.
Please purchase a good quality blue cheese for this salad. We’re big fans of Iowa based Maytag Blue Cheese, from Maytag Family Farms. and a Danish Blue Cheese is also a good choice.
Your cheese monger should be able to steer you in right direction for a choice for this pear and walnut salad.
The make-ahead vinaigrette for Pear and walnut salad
The cranberry vinaigrette for this pear salad is outstanding. It’s easy to make using canned cranberry sauce, which blends well with balsamic vinegar, orange juice and sugar. It’s a wow.
Making the vinaigrette ahead makes this an incredibly easy salad to assemble right before dinner.
As a matter of fact, I took the ingredients to Kathy’s house and assembled on the spot. Just give the cranberry vinaigrette a good shake and you’re ready to serve.
Recipe for Pear and Walnut Salad with Blue Cheese and Cranberry Vinaigrette
I hope you give this pear and walnut salad recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite pear walnut salad recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
I make this salad often and it’s a great side dish for our favorite Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin.
More impressive side salad recipes
- Southwestern Salad with Black Beans. with black beans and corn … and so much more. A beautiful combination of greens and vegetables with a feisty honey lime vinaigrette. Perfect side salad for your next Mexican meal.
- Avocado Hearts of Palm Salad. With butter leaf lettuce and walnuts. A beautiful presentation. A perfect side of any main course. Healthy, lemony, delicious.
- The Only Strawberry Spinach Salad You’ll Ever Need. Sweet, tangy, savory, a tingle of Worcestershire and a hint of paprika. A perfect side salad for any grilled entree.
And don’t miss my comprehensive article on the 9 Secrets To Making A Remarkable Tossed Salad. Just say no to sad salads forever.
And if you’re looking for more side dish recipe ideas, don’t miss my Salad category. You’ll find lots of great recipe ideas.
Pear and Walnut Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce canned
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- 2 pears sliced
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts chopped
- To prepare vinaigrette, place first 7 ingredients in medium bowl, stir well with whisk.
- To prepare the salad, divide the lettuce leaves evenly among 6 salad plates. Toss pear with 2 Tablespoons orange juice. Divide pear and onion evenly among leaves. Top each serving with about 1 Tablespoon cheese and 1 teaspoon walnuts. Drizzle each serving with about 2 1/2 Tablespoons vinaigrette.
Pear and walnut salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette …It’s What’s For A Fall Side Salad