This is a recipe for a chicken chorizo burger. These Chicken Chorizo Burgers nail it when it comes to flavor and texture. The chorizo adds just enough pizzaz to make this a juicy burger that you’ll want to make over and over. Take a whole new approach to burgers and try this combination with a spicy kick.
Believe me when I say, this burger is delicious! This burger recipe is a very nice change from the norm combining ground chicken and Mexican chorizo. It’s a perfect option for spicing up chicken for your next back yard grill party. The chorizo adds a little bit of kick that your friends are sure to love.
This chicken burger would be great with sweet potato fries from the freezer section at your market, and you could even make these healthier by eating this burger without a bun, making smaller burgers and wrapping them in iceberg lettuce leaves.
This recipe is for all of the chicken burger doubters.
Simply flavored with onion and garlic, don’t over mix the chorizo and chicken meat. This helps to maintain a good end result in texture. And with the pockets of chorizo these burgers weren’t dry and lifeless like other chicken burgers I’ve tried.
What really brings this burger to the forefront is the topping of the cumin-lime quick pickles. Zesty with lots of lime, rich with cumin, the flavor is complimented with the addition of smoky goodness. The recipe called for smoked salt, which I couldn’t find at the store, so I grabbed a jar of smoked black peppercorns which ended up to be a very nice addition. Add some lettuce and tomato and you’ve got a tasty burger.
This was a delicious and adventurous Saturday night treat.
Recipe for Chicken Chorizo Burger
I hope you give this chicken chorizo burger recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite chorizo burger recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- 1/2 pound of chorizo sausage
- 1/4 onion grated
- 2 cloves of garlic grated
- Pepper to taste
- Begin by removing the casing from the chorizo sausage (slice with a paring knife and pull off) and adding it to the ground chicken. Grate in the onion and garlic. Add pepper.
- Mix together gently, being careful not to over mix. This will create pockets of chorizo in the burgers.
- Form patties and cook in a grill pan or cast iron skillet. Tent with foil towards the end to insure they are no longer pink inside (about 160 F).
- To build the burgers, start with a toasted bun and the chorizo chicken patty. Top with a few of the quick pickles (recipe below), a slice of tomato and some lettuce.
Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles
1 package of Persian cucumbers, about 2 1/2 cups sliced (I found baby cucumbers at Whole Foods)
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
2 limes, zest and juice
1 1//2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
About 1/4 teaspoon of smoked salt (I used smoked cracked peppercorns)
A pinch of salt
- Begin by slicing the small cucumbers into the pickle shape, using the slicing blade on your food processor.
- Extract some of the water from the cucumbers by placing them in a colander, adding a pinch of salt, and letting it drain for about 2 hours. This helps the cucumbers ready to absorb flavors.
- After draining, build the quick pickling liquid. Combine the vinegar, lime zest and juice, cumin, garlic powder, smoked peppercorns and salt. Pour over the cucumbers and let sit for about an hour before topping the burgers with the quick pickles!
Looking for more great burger recipes?
Take a look at this great lineup of burger recipes from the best bloggers around the country. 31 hamburger recipes to grill all Summer long: