How To Make Hatch Green Chili, Colorado Style

Hatch Green Chile Soup

Every August when Hatch Chiles are roasting in our markets, I make a couple of large batches of Hatch Green Chili to pack away in freezer containers to keep us warm until Spring. From what I read about Green Chili, no surprise that the dish originated in New Mexico. Traditional New Mexico Hatch Green Chili is a simple sauce or soup with seasonings and roasted Hatch Green Chile peppers. Heading North, it transforms into a thicker soup or stew with the addition of pork. Which is the only way I’ve ever made it.

Hatch Green Chile

Back in 1979 I had my first introduction to this incredible Southwestern treat when a coworker, petite, blond and Polish brought a crockpot full to an office pot luck. I hounded her for at least a year for her recipe but she would never give it to me. All I knew was that it was full of pork and green chiles. Keep in mind this was before computers and the wealth of resource we have at our fingertips…thanks Google.

With all that said, this recipe has developed into my own with many tweaks since 1979. And Joan Ceranowicz, wherever you are, thanks for the introduction.

Shredded Pork Roast

I start by roasting a four-pound pork shoulder roast in the oven, 350 degrees, three hours, simply seasoned with salt and pepper. When the roast is cool enough to handle I remove the fat, shred the meat, and place it into a large Dutch oven.

Chopped Hatch Green Chile

I chop the tops off fifteen roasted Hatch Green Chiles, remove some of the blistered skin and chop. Most of the seeds come out when you chop the top off. If you want to take the time to clean the peppers by removing the veins and all of the seeds, you’ll have to split them open and scrape. I don’t do that.

Green Chile with Tomatoes

From here I add chicken broth and a can of (or fresh) tomatoes and my lineup of spices and let it simmer on low for at least an hour.

Chimayo Chile Peppers One of my recent additions has been a teaspoon of hot Chamayo Chili Powder for some additional excitement. The Native American Chimayo chile is a small chile, about five inches  long.  The lower part of the pod is bent and its stem top indents like a royal crown. The growing conditions in Chimayo New Mexico contribute to this chile pepper’s distinct flavor and identity.

Make sure you’re getting authentic Chimayo Chili Powder. If you read the ingredients, the package may indicate “New Mexico” chiles rather than Chimayo chiles which are grown in the village of Chimayo.

authentic chamayo chili powder One way to identify authentic Chimayo Chili Powder is by its distinct pottery red-orange color. Native Chimayo chiles have medium heat and a smooth robust flavor with chocolate-like base tones.  The remarkable thing about the real Chimayo chile is the ability to age the chile under controlled conditions. When aged properly, the chiles flavor is refined like a fine wine. If you’re interested, Saveur Magazine writes a great article about the village of Chamayo, it’s history and it’s culture.

Best Flour Tortillas in Denver Area Simply serve the green chili with warm flour tortillas. If you’re a local, my friend Heather and I discovered a great place to purchase freshly made flour tortillas. They’re the best I’ve ever had. You can watch them making the tortillas behind the cash register and grabbing one of the warm bags of soft, fluffy fresh tortillas is a wonderful promise of goodness. Make sure you eat one while it’s still warm on your drive back to Denver. The store is very small yet offers Mexican Spices, some canned goods, Coke in a bottle and Piñatas. Located in Brighton, it’s worth the drive to Tortilleria Chihuahua.

5.0 from 5 reviews
  • 14.5 ounces can chopped tomato, undrained
  • 15 chile peppers chopped
  • 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
  • juice of ½ lime
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  1. Simply season the pork roast with salt and pepper. Place in a large Dutch oven, cover and roast in a 350 degree oven until done. About 3 hours. Remove the roast from the pan and let cool and then shred the meat with two forks. Set aside.
  2. Heat the oil and the bacon drippings in the same Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes . Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
  3. Add the shredded meat, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, coriander, oregano, tomatoes, chile powders and chiles. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 2 hours..
  4. In a bowl combine water and cornstarch and stir until combined. Towards the end, I like to add a little of this to thicken the soup.
  5. Serve with warm flour tortillas.

Hatch Green Chili with Pork, Colorado Style…It’s What’s for Dinner.

• cecilia w says

Im from california, i recently saw advertised in suppermarket it now the sean for hatch chilies My markets this way r Ralph, Stater brothers or alburtson, u may wanna call first to if they have it, thats its now the season It advertise for fresh chilies hatch, or come in a can mild or hot hope that helps

Lea Ann this looks really good. I tried to make a recipe for hatch green chili last week but it was lacking something…just sort of green and blah. I will take your advice of adding a hot chili powder and tomatoes too when I try it next time.

Oh boy, this looks wonderful. My neighbor brought some green chili to a neighborhood get together several years ago and I asked her for the recipe and she turned me down! I think people who don’t share recipes have a special place in hell reserved for them. Well, just like you, I Googled it and made some better than hers. Take that.

Your chili looks so delicious, Lea Ann, and I’m so tempted to try it. I can see that you like it much hotter than we do but I’m sure I can scale that back and we will still have a delicious dish. A little bakery down the street from me makes the most delicious tortillas that will be perfect with this.

4. dan says

Great recipe and great photos. I am much better at consuming green chile, which I revere, than I am at producing it but I plan to give this a try. And I’m thinking you Have to have a bit left over to freeze…it might make up for no pickles-to-go on my recent visit. If so please let me know in advance, and I might actually attend Sept wine night.

: )

Lea Ann, I cold SWIM in this chili! Slow cooking the pork is brilliant! And I’ve never heard of Chamayo Chili Powder . . . I’ll need to use trusty Google to see where to find it ‘over here’ on the non-chili side of the country! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing Labor Day!

I was standing across the street with camera pointed at the door waiting for Heather to come out of the store. Love that she was celebrating on that exit. Cute pic.

Your recipe looks awesome!!! The medium chili’s are HOT this year! Im so glad you use Chimayo- its the BEST chili powder on the planet! Im pretty excited in that picture! LOL!

Thanks Heather. I agree, there is some heat involved in those “mediums”. But I’m pretty sensitive to that and these still have great flavor with just a good amount of bite. Yes you do look excited. I was just standing across the street waiting for you to come out and didn’t realize there was a celebration until I uploaded the photo to my computer later. Love that pic.

8. Doreen says

I am originally from SW CO but moved to Alaska some years ago. Recently my grocer put out an ad for my favorite chilies, Hatch. You can imagine my elation. So I ran out the door with my news paper in hand to get some. I ended up with a 25 pound case. Never know if Alaska with see such amazing chilies again. After 3 long days of oven roasting and cleaning all of them I was ready for my pot of green chili.
    I googled a few things and then resorted to pintrest. Its been so long since I cooked it that I didn’t want to forget something.
    Just wanted to say thank you for your post. It was exactly what I had hoped it would be. Pure and simple southwest style green chili with pork. My whole family loved it.

Actually, I can imagine how elated you were to see that ad. I would have been squealing with joy. There is just something about the flavor of these chile’s that can’t be beat.

I can remember years and years ago, when they weren’t available in Denver, we’d jump in the car and drive South into New Mexico and stop at the first road side stand advertising Hatch Chiles. And yes, I’d spend the next two days roasting and freezing. Luckily the markets here now have those big roasters and all I have to do is freeze.

I’m so glad you enjoyed the chili recipe. And thank you for your kind note. I always love hearing from people who have stopped by.

I’ve also posted a Hatch Chile breakfast, a Hatch burger and next up will be Hatch mac and cheese.

Enjoy those chiles.

9. Tracy says

I think I’m in serious trouble from both your recipe and that tortilla gold mine. Guess where I’m headed this weekend…Ü

Hatch pepper time again! This recipe is fantastic and has been a favorite at our house for the last couple of years. I even ordered the Chimayo Chili powder last year. Adds a great flavor that nobody can quite put their finger on. Mostly just their tongues. :) Thanks for a great hatch pepper recipe.

Thanks so much for stopping in and the comment. I’ve not seen any roasters in Denver yet, but it will be very soon. Love this time of year when the aromas of Hatch Chile are in the air.

11. Don A says

Found this on google. I also live in the Ranch and enjoyed this recipe very much. Good call shredding the pork first.

Awesome recipe. Thanks

12. Ginger White says

Thank you so much for this recipe. I used to live in Colorado in Fort Collins and loved the Green Chili at one of the restaurants there, the BEST green chili I have ever tasted. This one sounds very much like the one there.

Thank you Ginger. We’ve had a beautiful Colorado late Summer here. I think you’d be missing Ft. Collins right now if you only knew. :) Thanks so much for stopping in and for the comment.

13. Veronica Tebbe says

I live in Highlands Ranch, CO and just discovered your blog. I LOVE green chili with Brewery Bar being my favorite while eating out right now (it changes). I am planning on trying your recipe but was wondering, where near Highlands Ranch do you find your chilies? I’m ready to make your dip and other recipes too! I better buy a bunch!