Hatch Green Chile Pasta with Chicken is a fantastic Hatch green chili recipe. The pasta is mixed with a spicy cream sauce, chicken breast and spinach. An easy chicken dinner with southwestern flair!
Pappardelle’s Pasta (The Fine Art of Pasta) never fails to impress when it comes to great flavored pastas. I couldn’t believe my Hatch Chile loving eyes when I saw they had created a Hatch Green Chile flavored pasta. This pasta has a great roasted flavor and depending on the batch of chiles they receive, is medium to medium-hot.
This batch was perfect for us, with a medium heat and outstanding Hatch flavor.
For those of you who are not familiar with a Hatch Green Chili…the chiles are a Southwestern delicacy grown in the Hatch Valley of New Mexico. In August, in places like Colorado, New Mexico and California, it is not uncommon to find “Hatch Festivals” celebrating the year’s harvest. You can learn more about the chiles and the New Mexico chile craze HERE.
We’re lucky here in Denver, as Pappardelle’s is a Colorado company. I can purchase their products at my local specialty markets or at Farmers’ markets during the Summer. Pappardelle’s Pasta is also sold at selected locations across the country, or by mail order from their site if you’re interested in giving this recipe a try.
Substitutions for Hatch Green Chile Pasta
If you can’t find the Hatch green chile pasta in your area, you can substitute a plain pappardelle pasta and add two to three roasted Hatch chiles.
And you can easily order Premium Roasted Green Chiles from New Mexico.
I’ve used Chimayo chile powder to season the cream sauce. It can be hard to find, so substitute Ancho or any other mild to medium powder. Don’t use a commercial chili powder blend, it would be way to strong and bitter for this recipe.
Whatever your decision, give this Hatch green chile pasta recipe a try. It’ll satisfy your Southwestern cravings for the week!
- 1/2 pound Hatch Green Chile Pasta
- 1/8 pound unsalted butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup spinach packed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half. Cubed and sauteed
- 1/4 teaspoon Chimayo chile powder or chile powder of your choice medium heat
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cotija cheese crumbled, for garnish.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add half and half and heat through. Add spinach, chile powder and parmesan cheese. Cook on low until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off burner, cover, keeping warm.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and then add olive oil. Add cubed chicken breast and cook until no longer pink inside. Don't over cook. Add this to the cream mixture.
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- When pasta is cooked through, drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add pasta to Cream mixture. Turn burner on low, if it needs to be warmed up. Add a little bit of the pasta water to add starch and creaminess.
- Divide between two plates, serve immediately and top with crumbled Cotija cheese for garnish if you'd like.
Hatch Green Chile Pasta with Chicken and Spinach…It’s what’s for Dinner.
Can’t live without pasta this weekend?
One of my favorite Pappardelle’s flavored pasta recipe is this Lemon Basil Pasta in Artichoke Sauce Recipe. It’s unique and wonderful…check it out.