Hatch Green Chile Pasta with Chicken is a fantastic Hatch green chili recipe. The pasta is mixed with a spicy cream sauce, chicken breast and spinach. An easy chicken dinner with southwestern flair!
Pappardelle’s Pasta (The Fine Art of Pasta) never fails to impress when it comes to great flavored pastas. I couldn’t believe my Hatch Chile loving eyes when I saw they had created a Hatch Green Chile flavored pasta.
This pasta has a great roasted flavor and depending on the batch of chiles they receive, is medium to medium-hot.
This batch was perfect for us, with a medium heat and outstanding Hatch Chile flavor.
For those of you who are not familiar with a Hatch Green Chili…the chiles are a Southwestern delicacy grown in the Hatch Valley of New Mexico.
In August, in places like Colorado, New Mexico and California, it is not uncommon to find “Hatch Festivals” celebrating the year’s harvest. You can learn more about the chiles and the New Mexico chile craze HERE.
We’re lucky here in Denver, as Pappardelle’s is a Colorado company. I can purchase their products at my local specialty markets or at Farmers’ markets during the Summer.
Pappardelle’s Pasta is also sold at selected locations across the country, or by mail order from their site if you’re interested in purchasing their Hatch Chile Flavored Pasta.
Substitutions for Hatch Green Chile Pasta
You can also make this recipe using regular plain flavored pappardelle pasta or fettuccini. Just add 1/4 cup of chopped green chile peppers to the ingredients.
And you can easily order Premium Roasted Green Chiles from New Mexico.
I’ve used Chimayo chile powder to season the cream sauce. It can be hard to find, so substitute Ancho or any other mild to medium powder. Don’t use a commercial chili powder blend, it would be way to strong and bitter for this recipe.
Whatever your decision, give this Hatch green chile pasta recipe a try. It’ll satisfy your Southwestern cravings for the week!
More Southwestern Pasta Recipes
- Cheesy Creamy Green Chile Chicken Lasagna, Green Chile White Chicken Lasagna is everything you love about classic lasagna. However, this version combines layers of lasagna noodles with lean shredded chicken breast, cheese and a luscious green chile white sauce. This Green Chile Chicken Lasagna is a totally irresistible, make ahead recipe to feed a crowd.
- Mexican Mac and Cheese With Tomato Sauce, Throw in a Mexican twist for this feisty version of our favorite comfort food. The whole family will love this recipe. Easy and delicious and a perfect side dish for any Southwestern main course.
- Creamy BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad, Pasta Salad with a Creamy BBQ and Ranch, Sour Cream Sauce is a pasta side dish that you’ll be devouring all Summer. Just add black beans and tomatoes.
- 1/2 pound Hatch Green Chile Pasta or plain pappardelle pasta, or fettuccini
- 1/8 pound unsalted butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup spinach packed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half. cubed and sauteed
- 1/4 cup green chile peppers If using plain flavored pasta. orasted, peeled, chopped (or canned)
- 1/4 teaspoon Chimayo chile powder medium heat, or ancho chile powder
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Cotija cheese crumbled, for garnish.
In a saucepan, melt butter. Add half and half and heat through.
Add spinach, chile powder and parmesan cheese. Cook on low until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off burner, cover, keeping warm.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and then add olive oil. Add cubed chicken breast and cook until no longer pink inside. Don’t over cook. Add this to the cream mixture.
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- When pasta is cooked through, drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add pasta to Cream mixture. Turn burner on low, if it needs to be warmed up. Add a little bit of the pasta water to add starch and creaminess.
- Divide between two plates, serve immediately and top with crumbled Cotija cheese for garnish if you’d like.
Hatch Green Chile Pasta with Chicken and Spinach…It’s what’s for Dinner.