A smothered breakfast burrito with Southwestern New Mexico inspired flavors. Hatch Green Chili Smothered breakfast burritos are a breakfast burrito championed. Clearly one of our best Hatch green chili recipes!
Best Breakfast Burrito Ever
Where do you go to get the best breakfast burrito ever? Have you ever had a smothered breakfast burrito??
Oddly enough a couple of the best I’ve had were at golf courses here in Denver.
And they both were curiously made with Italian Sausage, eggs, potatoes and cheese. Hand held burritos, wrapped in foil. Delicious, but hardly what I would consider traditional.
But hands down best, because you’ll need a fork for this smothered breakfast burrito, swimming in plenty of green chili and melted cheese, is the one at our local Cajun restaurant.
NoNo’s Cafe serves a zeppelin-sized burrito that is out-of-this-world. It’s liberally stuffed with bacon, sausage and eggs. You can order this burrito “half and half.” Meaning that half can be smothered in green chili and the other half in country gravy. Oh…my…goodness.
The only photo I can find is from Larry’s Blog. It was taken when Bev and Larry visited Colorado last Fall, we all enjoyed a hearty breakfast feast at NoNo’s.
Homemade Traditional Breakfast Burritos
As you’ve probably noticed, my kitchen was not named as a breakfast burrito destination. As easy as they sound, I’ve just not mastered what I’d consider the perfect southwestern style breakfast burrito that wows …until now.
It’s in-depth analysis of the anatomy of a classic breakfast burrito, beginning with what kind of tortilla to purchase, also includes restaurants in New Mexico serving up the best burritos and more recipes, one for a red chile sauce that I must try soon.
But what caught my eye was their combination for the ingredients to stuff into a flour tortilla for a breakfast burrito. Sounded perfect to me, and I believe it is.
Now this is what I call traditional.
What I liked most was the final trip to the oven to melt the cheese. This meant that there wasn’t a rush to have all the ingredients ready at exactly the same time so everything would stay nice and toasty.
We loved everything about this recipe.
How to Make a Smothered Breakfast Burrito
I topped the smothered breakfast burrito with my Colorado Style Hatch Green Chili and it was a delicious New Mexico inspired breakfast burrito. And don’t forget to serve it with a side of Cowboy Beans.
This recipe calls for chopping potatoes and then frying in vegetable oil. I have made these burritos many times by substituting frozen hash browns to makes these smothered burritos. It works like a charm. Just fry them per package instructions.
A good quality tortilla is important to a good breakfast burrito. Hopefully your town has a tortilleria that makes fresh. My friend Heather and I discovered a great place to purchase freshly made flour tortillas in the Denver area.
They’re the best I’ve ever had. You can watch them making the tortillas behind the cash register and grabbing one of the warm bags of soft, fluffy fresh tortillas is a wonderful promise of goodness.
Make sure you eat one while it’s still warm on your drive back to Denver. The store is very small yet offers Mexican Spices, some canned goods, Coke in a bottle and Piñatas. Located in Brighton, it’s worth the drive to Tortilleria Chihuahua.
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
If you’re like me, you wake up hungry and the process for making these homemade smothered breakfast burritos may be too long of a process for morning prep. Chopping and cooking the potatoes takes awhile, frying the bacon, takes awhile …
Here are some make ahead prep tips to cut the time for breakfast time.
- Chop the potatoes the night before. Boil them in water until they reach the par-boiled stage. Depending on how large you cut the potatoes, this should only take about 7 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, pat them dry and store them in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, it will take half the time to fry them for the breakfast burritos.
- You can also fry the bacon the night before. Again, store it in the fridge and when you’re ready to build that breakfast burrito, just reheat the bacon for about 30 seconds to warm it back up.
Recipe for Green Chile Smothered Breakfast Burrito
If you’re a burrito freak like me, you won’t want to miss this recipe for Shrimp Burritos Con Queso. Smothered in a sour cream cheese sauce, this is melt in your mouth wonderful. Or this super easy Chili Burrito recipe.
And if you’re looking for more ways to use Green Chili, don’t miss my post for Chicken Fried Steaks with Green Chili and Egg.
Smothered Breakfast Burrito with Hatch Green Chili
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 3 large russet potatoes 10 to 12 ounces each, peeled or unpeeled, small chopped. Or use 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove clove minced
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 4 8" flour tortillas warmed
- 8 slices bacon cooked until crisp
- 3-4 cups prepared Hatch Green Chili warmed
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese grated
- Warm oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in potatoes, salt, and as much pepper as you wish. Cook stirring frequently until potatoes are browning, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. If you're using cubed potatoes, smash some of them with a potato masher.
- Place the eggs in a bowl and whip them a few times with a fork or whisk. Pour eggs over potatoes and scrape mixture up and down another couple of times to distribute. Don't overcook the eggs. Cook just until they still look wet. Keep in mind, they'll continue cooking once removed from the heat. And they're going to the oven once they're in the burrito for a few minutes.
- To make the burritos, spoon a heaping 1/3 cup of potato egg mixture onto a warmed tortilla. Top with 2 slices of bacon. Roll up into a loose cylinder and place burrito seam side down on a heatproof plate.
- Spoon 1⁄2 – 1 cup of warm Hatch Green Chili over burrito and sprinkle it generously with cheese.
- Bake burritos until cheese is melted and gooey, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Breakfast Burritos Smothered with Hatch Green Chili …it’s what’s for Breakfast.