Stuffed with a cheese sauce and sautéed shrimp, rolled up and wrapped tight, these Mexican shrimp burritos are baked into a creamy …rich … and decadent treat.
Today’s Mexican food project revolves around “stuff it, roll it and wrap it”. Burritos to be exact. Burritos filled with a Mexican cheese sauce, Hatch Green Chiles, fresh tomatoes, and a little bit of the unexpected = zucchini thrown in = equals everything I absolutely love.
These burritos are made with shrimp that’s been sautéed with green onions and wrapped inside a fluffy white tortillas and drizzled with a thickened sauce of Monterey Jack and sour cream that’s been spiked with onion, red bell, jalapeno and Hatch peppers, tomatillo, tomato and zucchini.
After the burritos are rolled and wrapped tight, they’re then smothered with more of the sauce, more cheese and baked until bubbly…and on my plate please!
Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you away. The end result is melt in your mouth treat that will have your guests begging for the recipe.
Recipe for Mexican Shrimp Burritos Con Queso
I hope you give this recipe for Mexican Shrimp Burritos a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite shrimp burrito recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
And if you’re looking for more burrito recipes, take a look at my recipe for Enchilada Burritos, Easy Beef and Bean Burritos,
Looking to ditch the flour tortilla? Take a look at this healthier option for Chicken Burrito Bowl made with seasoned ground chicken breast.
Shrimp Burritos Con Queso
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 Cup Hatch green chile roasted, peeled, chopped
- 1 tomatillo diced
- 1/2 Cup zucchini seeds removed and chopped, unpeeled
- 1 clove garlic peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch New Mexico Chimayo Chile powder or ancho, or cayenne
- 3 Tablespoon flour
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup Monterey Jack cheese grated and divided
- 1/4 Cup sour cream
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 6 flour tortillas 8 inch
- 1/2 Cup green onions finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with PAM. In a saucepan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, chile peppers, tomatillo, zucchini and oregano. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in salt, pepper and cayenne.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water and whisk to blend. Add to vegetable mixture. Add milk and stir until well blended. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- In a skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shrimp. Stir until shrimp just turn pink, about 2 minutes. Stir in half of the vegetable cream sauce mixture and half of the tomatoes. Remove from heat. Lay out flour tortillas and fill each equally with the shrimp mixture. Roll tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Top burritos with remaining half of the vegetable cream sauce mixture. Cover the pan with foil and bake 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, sliced green onions and remaining chopped tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Mexican Shrimp Burritos Con Queso …It’s what’s for Dinner
Looking for more Mexican Recipes with Shrimp? You won’t want to miss: