This is a recipe for adobo shrimp tostadas. The shrimp is tossed with smoky adobo sauce, then grilled. Served with a fresh cabbage slaw stirred with sour cream, lime and chile powder, this is a healthy light easy dinner.
Shrimp Tostadas …easy, fresh, delicious and with the addition of adobo sauce…addicting. This creation is one of my favorite things to make during spring, summer…fall…oh heck, we might as well throw in winter. This is delicious, easy, fresh and makes a year round appearance on our dinner table.
Just start out with a little slicing and dicing.
I don’t know why, but I don’t have good luck frying those commercially packaged corn tortillas from the “regular” store. Sometimes they are just fine and other times they don’t work. So until I figure out what’s going on, I buy these frozen at Whole Foods. They fry up just right every time. Just a minute or so per side in a little bit of oil.. Just enough to crisp.
An easier option for these shrimp tostadas is to buy a package of pre-made tostada shells. You can find them in the tortilla section at the store.
Add a pretty lime wedge for garnish and serve it up. I also like to squeeze a little lime juice over the top before eating (optional). We like to serve this with a nice fresh berry scented Rose wine. This just adds the frosting on the “fresh and crisp” cake.
Warning, these are so good and not very graceful to eat. In other words, they’re kind of a mess, stuff falls off, and as hard as you try not to, you sometimes end up with avocado somewhere on your face……..depending on how fresh the avocado is.
Recipe for Adobo Grilled Shrimp Tostadas with Lime Slaw
I hope you give these shrimp tostadas a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite shrimp tostada recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
I use my Le Creuset stove top grill pan to make these tostadas. I’ve included an affiliate link for your convenience.
Tostadas can be about the easiest weeknight dinner options around. If you’re looking for more recipes you won’t want to miss:
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Tostada Recipe
- Black Bean Chicken Tostadas with Tangy Romaine
- Zesty Chicken Tostadas with Feta Cheese
Adobo Grilled Shrimp Tostadas
- 1/8 Cup olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 20 large shrimp enough for 4 – 5 shrimp per tostada
- 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chilies in adobo sauce
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Chimayo Chile Powder or Ancho chile powder.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 2 medium radishes thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a medium, deep skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil until hot. Fry one tortilla at a time over moderately high heat until lightly golden on both sides, about 2 minutes total. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Preheat a grill pan. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the 1 teaspoon or so of oil and the adobo sauce. Season the shrimp with salt. Grill the shrimp over moderately high heat, turning once, until they are browned in spots and cooked through, about 4 minutes total.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage with the tomato, green onions, sour cream, chile powder and lime juice. Season with salt. Set the tortillas on plates and top with the cabbage slaw, shrimp, avocado, radishes and sprinkle with some cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Servings: 2 Note: One time I didn’t have any canned chilies in adobo sauce, so sprinkled some achiote paste over the shrimp. Also very good. Enjoy!
Shrimp Tostadas …They’re What’s For Dinner