Grilled and glazed with a sweet and spicy firecracker sauce, Firecracker Shrimp is a quick and amazing appetizer, or served with side dishes, a super easy dinner option. Five ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes … you can’t beat that.
I’ve tried several versions of Firecracker Shrimp. Versions where shrimp are potato starched, or floured, and come with a lengthy lineup of ingredients.
Those recipes are really very good, but I’ve settled on this incredibly quick, easy, no-fuss version as a permanent resident in my data base and the recipe I want to share with my readers. A version with flavor and texture that you’ll find addictive.
This recipe somewhat reminds me of Bang Bang Shrimp … except its a version that isn’t breaded.
This recipe for Firecracker Shrimp is Asian inspired and a quick and easy treat for any meal.
It’s a super quick offering for an appetizer, or served with rice for a light and welcome easy dinner option.
Peeled and deveined shrimp are skewered and grilled basted with sweet, sticky sauce that becomes a beautiful glaze as it cooks.
The beauty of this recipe, is that it uses ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry.
Let’s take a look.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Mise en place. Always gather ingredients before starting any recipe. It will save you time and organize your mind.
- Shrimp: Choose quality wild caught shrimp that has already been shelled and deveined. This will save you lots of time.
- Neutral Oil: Canola oil or Vegetable oil works well here.
- Apricot Jam.
- Soy Sauce.
- Red Chile Pepper Flakes.
- Sesame Seeds (optional) Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds once the shrimp is cooked.
- Salmon: I have also used this recipe for grilled salmon. Works like a charm for a quick dinner entree.
- Jam: I had peach jam in the pantry. It works great as a sub for Apricot Jam.
- Red Chile Pepper Flakes: A couple of good shakes of your favorite hot sauce is a good substitute for red pepper flakes. As is a sizable pinch or Cayenne pepper or New Mexico chile powder. Avoid using a chili powder blend that you most likely have in your pantry. It just won’t be as spicy and it’s a while different world of flavors.
Step by Step Instructions
How do you make firecracker shrimp? It super easy.
- Step 1, prepare the Firecracker Shrimp Sauce. In a small bowl, combine preserves, oil, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Step 2, Use a fork to stir and blend the ingredients together.
- Step 3: Skewer the peeled and deveined shrimp onto metal or wooden skewers. If using wooden, soak them for 20 minutes ahead of time, so they don’t burn. You can also use a grill basket. Use oil or a cooking spray to coat the pan before grilling.
- Step 4: Broil or grill the Firecracker Shrimp. If broiling, place sheet pan 4 inches below the broiler unit. Slide the sheet pan out, turning every 2 minutes, basting with the sauce each time you turn. If grilling grill over medium high heat and turn shrimp every 2 minutes, basting each time you turn.
Please look for shrimp that tastes like shrimp. And by that I mean wild caught shrimp as opposed to farmed. Study those packages in your freezer section, you’ll be surprised to see you can find wild caught. They have a cleaner true shrimp flavor. And purchase frozen shrimp and thaw them yourself. Shrimp that is displayed in the seafood section that are not frozen, are more than likely previously frozen. Unless you live on the ocean.
Place shrimp in the refrigerator and let it thaw naturally overnight.
Shrimp Tip: Using a paper towel, pat shrimp dry before cooking. You’ll get a much better and crispier sear. Also, leave a tiny bit of space between the shrimp as you skewer. That little bit of air flow will help the shrimp cook evenly.
If you have any leftovers, place shrimp in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Recipe for Firecracker Shrimp
I hope you give this super easy shrimp dinner recipe a try. It’s a great idea to keep in your back pocket for a quick light dinner or appetizer. You’re going to love it’s simplicity and unique flavor.
More Grilled Shrimp Recipes
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves or peach preserves
- 1 teaspoon Neutral oil canola or vegetable oil works well here.
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce Use Tamari to make this recipe gluten free.
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp peeled and deveined
- In a small bowl, combine the preserves, oil, soy sauce and pepper flakes. Pat the shrimp dry and thread shrimp onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Using a paper towel, lightly oil the grill grates before placing the shrimp.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat until shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes on each side, basting frequently with apricot mixture.
- Use blue cheese dressing as a dipping sauce.
Firecracker Shrimp … It’s What’s For Dinner.
This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home.