This is a recipe for an oh-so cheesy baked egg casserole. Savory with roasted red bell pepper, three of your favorite cheeses and a hint of onion, this is an easy egg and cheese casserole perfect for your next Sunday Brunch or breakfast.
The simplest way to make any morning better is with a good breakfast. And a breakfast egg bake can be one of the easiest ways to serve up eggs that certainly won’t disappoint. And it’ll help you get that day started off on the right foot.
What makes a baked egg casserole a great egg casserole? Certainly a beautiful custard texture, a blend of amiable cheeses and a touch of savory. The savory ingredient for this breakfast egg bake is chopped roasted red bell pepper. They add a bit of smoky sweet flavor. A touch of chopped green onion and you’re got an easy egg casserole to spoil your family.
This baked egg casserole recipe is easy enough to prepare on a lazy Sunday morning. About thirty minutes prep time and a 35 minute bake in the oven. While the casserole is baking, grab a package of frozen hash browns, and fry some bacon or sausage and breakfast is served.
How to make A Great Custard Base for an Egg Casserole
We absolutely adore the custard for this egg and cheese casserole. The texture and the creaminess offers such a great base that you could switch this recipe up and use about any variety of vegetables and seasonings.
Picture this breakfast egg bake with asparagus and shallots, or a Southwestern flare with jalapeno with adobo sauce, or a simple mixture of mushroom and chives. Just be careful with the moisture content of some ingredients. And pre-cooking vegetables is important, as there is only a thirty minute bake time with this one. Why am I all of a sudden craving Hatch Chile and Bacon Quiche? 🙂
The custard base also calls for flour and baking powder. The flour adds thickness and creaminess and the baking powder brings the “puff” to this casserole.
Of course you can roast your red bell peppers for this egg and cheese casserole, but check out the olive bar at your local market. You’ll more than likely find a bin of beautiful roasted red bell peppers that are ready to bring home and chop. A jarred version should be in the olive section of your store.
I hope you give this baked egg casserole a try. You’ll be glad you did.
And if you’re looking for even more breakfast recipes, don’t miss my Breakfast Category. You’ll find lots of eye opening recipes including the most popular on my site for this Blueberry Overnight French Toast.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
Three Cheese Baked Egg Casserole
- 3 medium red bell peppers roasted, skinned and diced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 9 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups Medium Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- 3 green onions finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- To roast your own red bell peppers: Roast peppers on racks of gas burners over high heat, turning with tongs, until skins are blackened, 10 to 12 minutes. (Or broil peppers on a broiler pan about 5 inches from heat, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes.) Transfer to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap, then let stand 20 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel peppers, discarding stems and seeds, and cut into 1/3-inch dice.
- Or purchase red bell peppers at the olive bar or in jars in the olive section of the grocery store. – Big Time Saver.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder into a small bowl.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until doubled in volume, about 3 minutes. Add butter, flour mixture, and cheeses and mix well at low speed, then stir in peppers and green onion.
- Pour into a buttered 8 x 8 casserole dish and bake in middle of oven until top is golden brown and a tester comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- To serve, cut in squares and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and fine chopped heirloom tomatoes.
Three Cheese Baked Egg Casserole … It’s What’s For Breakfast.