Wake up to a hearty Mexican breakfast with these Avocado Scrambled Eggs Breakfast Burritos. Fresh avocado snuggled up with scrambled eggs and a “just right spicy” green chile gravy. An impressive baked breakfast burrito perfect for a weekend breakfast.
Hi there and thanks for stopping by. I hope your week has been delicious. And if you’re looking to extend all of that deliciousness into the weekend you’ve come to the right place.
I’m talking about weekend breakfast inspiration.
The weekend is the time to unwind. Time to toss away that hurried weekday morning routine and prepare something you really want.
Something creamy, something cheesy, something scambled-eggy.
And these burritos with scrambled eggs and avocado, are a great way to start a Saturday or Sunday Morning.
You’ll be asking yourself, where have these been for all of my breakfast life.
Inspiration for this baked breakfast burrito recipe
I’m of the opinion that no one really needs inspiration to make a breakfast burrito. They’re fun, they’re delicious and what a better breakfast food to lure you out from underneath those cozy covers in the morning.
This recipe was born out of the need to take advantage of the sale price of avocados. Over the past couple of weeks, King Soopers has had beautiful avocados for 88 cents each. You bet I’ve been grabbing my share.
And combining creamy smashed avocado with fluffy fresh scrambled eggs seemed to be calling my name.
Add some cheese and green chili gravy and you’ve got a combination and textures and flavors that you’re sure to love.
And the best thing about these avocado burritos? With just the two of us (we’re empty nesters) we enjoyed leftovers to extend that weekend breakfast luxury into a couple of weekday treats.
Somehow, someway, the smashed avocado stayed nice and fresh.
Don’t overcook those eggs
These breakfast burritos are very easy to make, however, you do need to keep an eye on those scrambled eggs.
Keeping the scrambled eggs slightly undercooked will guarantee they won’t overcook once wrapped in that flour tortilla and the time they’ll spend baking.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s build this Avocado and Scrambled Eggs Burrito:
We’ll start by microwaving the flour tortillas to make them pliable so they’ll roll up easier. About 30 seconds for the whole stack should do the trick.
I like using the smaller 6-inch flour tortillas for baked breakfast burritos. They just seem more manageable on all levels. If you want to use the large tortillas, you’ll need to double the ingredients for the egg and avocado filling.
Following the recipe below, prepare the Green Chile Gravy. Soft scramble the eggs and smash the avocado.
Put two tablespoons of the green chile gravy on the flour tortilla. Add 1/6th of the soft scrambled eggs and 1/6 of the smashed avocado.
And while we’re on the subject of scrambled eggs, isn’t the color of those eggs beautiful? I purchased Happy Eggs Brand, Free Range Eggs.
Roll up the tortilla and place it seam side down in a 6 1/2 x 10 inch oven proof baking dish.
Repeat the process, making a total of 6 burritos. Snuggle the burritos close together so they’ll all fit in the baking dish.
Spoon the remainder of the green chile gravy over the burritos. Spread the grated cheddar cheese down the center of the breakfast burritos.
Bake at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes, or until the burritos are well heated through and the cheese is melted.
Serve immediately. Garnish with chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, chopped cilantro and fresh fruit on the side.
The flavor and creamy texture of scrambled eggs with avocado is absolutely divine. I promise you, “ohmygoodness” good.
But as you can imagine, the Green Chile Gravy brings the whole thing together with a just right spicy creamy texture. Delicious! Don’t forget the salsa. A little bit will elevate this recipe into a fine fiesta.
The next time you’re craving a homemade breakfast burrito, I hope you consider these baked breakfast burritos. I simply can’t wait to make them again and again.
More Mexican breakfast recipe ideas
And if you love cooking breakfast, you won’t want to miss my Breakfast Category. You’ll find plenty of great recipes. Including one of the most popular on my site for Ham Hash with Mustard Cream Sauce.
Avocado Scrambled Eggs Baked Breakfast Burritos
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/4 cup butter divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk heated
- 4-6 Roasted Chile Peppers stems, seeds, and skin removed. Chopped. Or 1 four ounce can of chopped chile peppers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Avocado smashed
- 6 6 inch flour tortilla
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese Or Pepper Jack, shredded
- sliced jalapeno peppers, cilantro, tomatoes, sour cream for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add 1/4 cup butter. Once the butter is almost melted, add onion. Saute onion in butter until just starting to soften. About 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in flour. Stir for about two minutes or until flour and butter are combined and starting to turn a slightly darker color. Add heated milk and whisk constantly until the gravy thickens.
- Add green chles, salt and pepper. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until mixed well. Heat another large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and when butter has melted, add eggs and scramble until just starting to set up. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash avocados.
- To build the burritos, Heat the stack o 6 burritos in the microwave for 30 seconds. This will make them pliable and easy to roll. Spoon 2 tablespoons of gravy, 1/6 of the eggs and 1/6 of the avocado on each tortilla.
- Roll up and place seam side down in a 6 1/2 by 10 inch baking dish.
- Spoon remaining gravy over tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees 15 – 20 minutes or until hot. Top with chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapeno, cilantro and sour cream if you'd like. Serve with salsa, optional.