Coleslaw salad recipe. How to make coleslaw that stays crunchy and doesn’t get soggy. This is our family recipe for Creamy Classic Crunchy Coleslaw. A traditional creamy coleslaw recipe with mayo and vinegar.
We’re very picky about coleslaw here on the ranch. It’s got to be crunchy, creamy, tangy, sweet and wonderful. I can’t be soggy or too vinegar-y. It’s got to be just right.
I can take or leave the carrot, but I do put it in when I want to brighten up the overall appearance. This is a recipe that I’ve been making for 40 years. My Aunt Lena’s tried and true Kansas Cole Slaw. She’d bring to to most all family gatherings. And in my books, it’s perfect. She’s also responsible for this Old Fashioned Sweet Tangy Four Bean Salad that we all clamored over.
But what is the secret to keeping coleslaw as crunchy as possible?
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, and then remove the cores.
- With a sharp knife, thin slice the cabbage into shreds
- Set the cabbage in a large colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Set the colander in a bowl and put in refrigerator for a couple of hours. The salt will draw the moisture out of the cabbage. which will drain into the bowl.
- Rinse the salted cabbage under cold water and drain well.
- Make the dressing. But don’t dress the cabbage until just before serving.
Crunchy — creamy — perfect.
Let’s take a look at this buttermilk based recipe for Cole Slaw.
Coleslaw Salad Recipe with a creamy buttermilk dressing
I hope you give this coleslaw salad recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite creamy coleslaw recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
And if you’re looking for a new and different coleslaw recipe, don’t miss this one for Pineapple Coleslaw.
Note: This is a great coleslaw for pulled pork sliders … just sayin’
And if you’re looking for even more side dishes for picnic style gatherings, don’t miss this line-up of Summer cook-out sides. I’m positive you’ll find something you love.
Traditional Coleslaw Salad Recipe, Creamy, Classic and Crunchy
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar organic
- 2 tablespoons vinegar White wine, white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt or onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium cabbage shredded
- 1 large carrot shredded
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, and then remove the cores.With a sharp knife, thin slice the cabbage into shreds. Or use the slicer attachment of a food processor.Set the cabbage in a large colander and sprinkle with salt.Set the colander in a bowl and put in refrigerator for a couple of hours. The salt will draw the moisture out of the cabbage. which will drain into the bowl.Rinse the salted cabbage under cold water and drain well.
- Looking for easy? Can use 2- 16 oz. bags Shredded Cabbage
- Mix all wet ingredients and whisk in a bowl.
- Right before serving, get a large bowl or large container with an air tight lid. Put cabbage in the large container and pour the liquid over.(I love the air tight lid so I can shake it to mix it up)
- This goes great with Pulled Pork, Sloppy Joes and Sweet Potato Fries. I love to make this for big family gatherings, or Barbecues so I can make it ahead of time. DELISH!
Creamy Classic Crunchy Cole Slaw Recipe … it’s What’s for Summer