Cheesy, Chorizo, Green Chile Breakfast Burritos. The best thing about these breakfast burritos, is that they’re prepared the night before and popped into the oven to serve to guests the next morning.
Serving breakfast to overnight guests is such a fun thing to do. That is as long as you’re organized and morning prep is and appears to be easy peasy. There’s no reason to try to turn yourself into a short order cook. This is an easy recipe to prepare the night before to pop into the oven the next morning. Simply turn on the oven and your morning meal will easily satisfy your hungry house guests.
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is all about “sleep over food.” We’re to showcase our favorite late night snacks or early morning breakfast recipes to feed a sleepover crowd, whether it’s a group of kids, a girls’ weekend out or a bachelor party. Here’s a lineup of our best crowd pleasing recipes.
If you’re not familiar, the #SundaySupper Movement was started by Isabel over at Family Foodie as a project for “bringing back Sunday supper around the family table.” Who can argue with that??? And a big thanks to Marion of Life Tastes Good for hosting our event this week.
Breakfast burritos filled with cheese, onion, chorizo. Every single time I’ve made these Green Chile Breakfast Burritos everyone asks for the recipe. The eggs, flour and half and half form a custard like base that hugs the green chile, chorizo, cheese filling inside that soft flour tortilla. Divine! I hope you give these a try.
- 1 pound bulk chorizo sausage or breakfast sausage
- 4 roasted Hatch green chile or one small can
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese Divided
- 10 inch small Flour Tortillas 8
- 2 cups half and half
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- Salsa and Sour Cream for serving
Roast green chile by placing chile's on a sheet pan and broiling in oven until charred. Turn peppers every few minutes until charred on each side. When charred, place in a plastic bag and let steam for 5 minutes. With hands, remove blacken skins. Then slice off the tops to remove seed pods and veins. Rough chop chiles.
In a large pan, cook the sausage and onions together until the sausage is done. Let cool slightly.
Transfer sausage/onion mixture to a large bowl and fold in two cups of the cheese.
Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with PAM. Use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop out cheese mixture onto a tortilla. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Repeat until all the tortillas are squeezed into the pan.
Whisk together half-and-half, eggs and flour. Pour over tortillas. Cover and let sit overnight.
In the morning, preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake, covered, for 30-40 minutes, or until eggs are set.
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over burritos and bake, uncovered for 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Overnight Green Chile Breakfast Burritos … They’re what’s for Breakfast.
Looking for more ideas to serve that overnight breakfast crowd? Take a look at what the rest of our group has come up with.
- Bacon Jam Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Baked Ham, Egg and Cheese Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
- Breakfast Strata with Bacon and Date by Caroline’s Cooking
- Broccoli Breakfast Bake by Cricket’s Confections
- Classic Buttermilk Pancakes by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burrito by Brunch-n-Bites
- Julia’s Mushroom Quiche – Quiche aux Champignons by An Appealing Plan
- Nutty Sweet Potato Waffles by Wholistic Woman
- Overnight Green Chile Breakfast Burritos by Cooking On The Ranch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cereal Treat Bars by Crazed Mom
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes by Books n’ Cooks
- Pumpkin French Toast Casserole by Moore or Less Cooking
- Swedish Pancakes with Brown Sugar Bananas by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Waffle Fruit Kabobs by Home Sweet Homestead
- 2-Minute Quick Fudge by Sunday Supper Movement
- Classic Oatmeal Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Heavenly Oreo Dessert by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Peach Slab Pie by Pies and Plots
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Better Than Anything Chex Mix by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Caramel Corn by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cobb Salad Dip by Food Done Light
- DIY Grilled Cheese Bar by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fluffernutter Puff Pastry Turnovers by The Weekend Gourmet
- Make-It-Yourself Caramel Apple Bar by The Freshman Cook
- Maple Fish Party Mix by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Midnight Chicken Nuggets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- S’mores Snack Mix by Positively Stacey
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.