This recipe comes from Sarah’s blog, Everything In The Kitchen Sink.
Sarah is a 20-something engineering undergrad student at UMD who is “eating and cooking her way through life in DC”. She’s admirably ambitious. Besides writing a food blog, in any given week she’s taking and teaching classes, playing in sport leagues and spending whatever time is left with friends and family. When she cooks, all pots, pans and utensils end up in the kitchen sink. Hence the name of her blog.
Scrolling through her blog posts, I came to a screeching halt at Chicken Chorizo Burgers with Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles. When I read “this recipe is for the chicken burger doubters” (which would be me) I knew I had to give it a try.
Sarah nailed it with this burger. Simply flavored with onion and garlic, she warns us not to over mix the chorizo and chicken meat. This helps to maintain a good end result in texture. And with the pockets of chorizo these burgers weren’t dry and lifeless like other chicken burgers I’ve tried.
What really brings this burger to the forefront is the topping of the cumin-lime quick pickles. Zesty with lots of lime, rich with cumin, the flavor is complimented with the addition of smoky goodness. The recipe called for smoked salt, which I couldn’t find at the store, so I grabbed a jar of smoked black peppercorns which ended up to be a very nice addition. Add some lettuce and tomato and you’ve got a tasty burger.
Sarah also topped her burger with some corn crema as a condiment. For absolutely no reason other than I needed a side dish, I served the corn separately.
This was a delicious and adventurous Saturday night treat.
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- ½ pound of chorizo sausage
- ¼ onion, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- Pepper to taste
- Begin by removing the casing from the chorizo sausage (slice with a paring knife and pull off) and adding it to the ground chicken. Grate in the onion and garlic. Add pepper.
- Mix together gently, being careful not to over mix. This will create pockets of chorizo in the burgers.
- Form patties and cook in a grill pan or cast iron skillet. Tent with foil towards the end to insure they are no longer pink inside (about 160 F).
- To build the burgers, start with a toasted bun and the chorizo chicken patty. Top with a few of the quick pickles (recipe below), a slice of tomato and some lettuce.
Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles
1 package of Persian cucumbers, about 2 1/2 cups sliced (I found baby cucumbers at Whole Foods)
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
2 limes, zest and juice
1 1//2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
About 1/4 teaspoon of smoked salt (I used smoked cracked peppercorns)
A pinch of salt
- Begin by slicing the small cucumbers into the pickle shape, using the slicing blade on your food processor.
- Extract some of the water from the cucumbers by placing them in a colander, adding a pinch of salt, and letting it drain for about 2 hours. This helps the cucumbers ready to absorb flavors.
- After draining, build the quick pickling liquid. Combine the vinegar, lime zest and juice, cumin, garlic powder, smoked peppercorns and salt. Pour over the cucumbers and let sit for about an hour before topping the burgers with the quick pickles!