Chicken Chorizo Burgers with Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles, SRC Reveal

chicken chorizo burger This month’s Secret Recipe Club assignment found me over at Sarah’s blog, Everything In The Kitchen Sink.

Sarah is a 20-something engineering undergrad student at UMD who is “eating and cooking her way through life in DC”. She’s admirably ambitious. Besides writing a food blog, in any given week she’s taking and teaching classes, playing in sport leagues and spending whatever time is left with friends and family. When she cooks, all pots, pans and utensils end up in the kitchen sink. Hence the name of her blog.

Scrolling through her blog posts, I came to a screeching halt at Chicken Chorizo Burgers with Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles.  When I read “this recipe is for the chicken burger doubters” (which would be me) I knew I had to give it a try.

Sarah nailed it with this burger. Simply flavored with onion and garlic, she warns us not to over mix the chorizo and chicken meat. This helps to maintain a good end result in texture. And with the pockets of chorizo these burgers weren’t dry and lifeless like other chicken burgers I’ve tried.

Chicken Chorizo Burger

What really brings this burger to the forefront is the topping of the cumin-lime quick pickles. Zesty with lots of lime, rich with cumin, the flavor is complimented with the addition of smoky goodness. The recipe called for smoked salt, which I couldn’t find at the store, so I grabbed a jar of smoked black peppercorns which ended up to be a very nice addition. Add some lettuce and tomato and you’ve got a tasty burger.

Sarah also topped her burger with some corn crema as a condiment. For absolutely no reason other than I needed a side dish, I served the corn separately.

This was a delicious and adventurous Saturday night treat. Thanks for a great burger recipe Sarah.

For the Burgers:

1 lb of ground chicken
1/2 pound of chorizo sausage
1/4 onion, grated
2 cloves of garlic, grated
Pepper to taste

• Begin by removing the casing from the chorizo sausage (slice with a paring knife and pull off) and adding it to the ground chicken. Grate in the onion and garlic.  Add pepper.
  • Mix together gently, being careful not to over mix. This will create pockets of chorizo in the burgers.
  • Form patties and cook in a grill pan or cast iron skillet. Tent with foil towards the end to insure they are no longer pink inside (about 160 F).
  • To build the burgers, start with a toasted bun and the chorizo chicken patty. Top with a few of the quick pickles (recipe below), a slice of tomato and some lettuce.

Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles

1 package of Persian cucumbers, about 2 1/2 cups sliced (I found baby cucumbers at Whole Foods)
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
2 limes, zest and juice
1 1//2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
About 1/4 teaspoon of smoked salt (I used smoked cracked peppercorns)
A pinch of salt

• Begin by slicing the small cucumbers into the pickle shape, using the slicing blade on your food processor.
  • Extract some of the water from the cucumbers by placing them in a colander, adding a pinch of salt, and letting it drain for about 2 hours. This helps the cucumbers ready to absorb flavors.
  • After draining, build the quick pickling liquid. Combine the vinegar, lime zest and juice, cumin, garlic powder, smoked peppercorns and salt. Pour over the cucumbers and let sit for about an hour before topping the burgers with the quick pickles!
Chicken Chorizo Burgers with Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles…It’s What’s for Dinner.

Comments

I would normally not get to enthused over a chicken burger, but the addition of chorizo got my attention. The pickle topping sounds perfect and I like being able to make them in a couple of hours. Great shot of it with the pickle that has fallen off.

I would normally not get enthused over a chicken burger either Larry. Especially since I always buy ground breast. Maybe I should try ground thighs next time. Anyway, yes, that pickle is a nice flavorful topping. Thanks for the compliment on the photo.

I always get enthused about a chicken burger. I can imagine the chorizo lifting it to a whole new level!! Am glad you are in the chicken burger camp now :d

I am totally not surprised that this recipe caught your eye. I’m with you about chicken burger, but the addition of chorizo wins me over and the pickles…it is now a must try.

Susan, couldn’t agree more and the chorizo really does make this a good burger. But also rather defeats the “health” part. However, if you notice, I used a whole wheat bun. :)

Chicken burgers sound delicious, but those pickles are like a siren song. Yum! Also, just love the pictures. The vibrant green pickles, the Frankoma bowl and the crinkled paper – girl!

Thanks Vickie. Bob art directed the shot after I said “lets see …… what plate would this burger look good on”. And I too love those little Frankoma bowls. Those pickles are really good.

I an decidedly on the burger-are-made-from-beef side of the fence, but this recipe just might get me to change my mind. Great photos, btw.

Looks great and why have I never thought of mixing chorizo with another meat… I’m thinking it would be great mixed in with some ground venison… will have to try that next time.

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is about burgers. I do hope you link this lovely one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

I found that smoked pepper at Whole Foods. I was really surprised they didn’t have smoked salt. I remember my son buying it there a couple years ago. Those pickles are really good Lisa. We had friends over and I ended up sending a few home with my begging friend Dan. He went crazy over them.

Love the pickle recipe, Lea Ann. I don’t make burgers of any kind very often…but was recently watching a show with Ina Garten and she went on and on about overmixing hamburger meat and how it makes it tough all scrunched up like that. Do it lightly so air is left in, she said. I cringed when I remembered doing that very thing for my family. Never too late to learn!
    Yummy burger!

Lea Ann, thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We have got a super collection of burgers together. I hope you have stopped by some of the other links to check them out!

Ps I have just signed up to follow your blog. A follow back to Carole’s Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers

Ps If you would like email reminders of future Food on Fridays, just pop by and comment and include your email – I won’t publish it – and the reminder will be by bcc so it will remain private

I do too Cathy, but I did find this to be good burger. I’ve never heard of Persian cucumbers. I’ll have to check Costco next time I’m over there.

Dropping by to let you know that your Chicken Chorizo Burgers with Cumin-Lime Quick Pickles were Tuesday’s featured recipe on the Secret Recipe Club! Thanks for sharing and being a member of the club.