Bobby Flay Grilled Sweet Potatoes, with Lime and Cilantro

I just discovered grilling potatoes last summer and am loving every crispy smoky slice I’ve plated. Wanting to try grilling sweet potatoes, I Googled and the top recipe was this Bobby Flay Sweet Potato recipe grilled with Lime and Cilantro recipe.  I saw absolutely no reason to look any further.  Bobby Flay recipes never disappoint and I thought the lime and cilantro were a perfect combination for the sweet flavor.

This somewhat put me in mind of one of the delicious Mexican snow cones I had in Tucson.  Sweet, salty, spicy and limey. How can you go wrong with that combination? Rather than take the time to parboil I decided to slice the potato lengthwise into big paddles using my mandolin set on 1/4 inch thickness, then I grilled as Bobby’s recipe indicated. They grilled up very nicely. We found these to be a delicious side dish for grilled chicken thighs and a fresh salad.  A wonderful summer meal.  The only thing I would change is to at least double the lime zest and the cayenne. Seemed like there wasn’t enough to go around, and I only used one large sweet potato.  I’d also take the time to wedge and pre-cook before grilling.  That big orange paddle wasn’t as attractive as the white potato paddles I grilled last week.  Let’s take a look.

Bobby Flay’s Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Lime and Cilantro

• 3 sweet potatoes, unpeeled
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Directions Parcook the potatoes: Place in a pot of water and boil until fork-tender; let cool. Slice each potato lengthwise into eighths. Preheat a grill to medium or place a cast-iron grill pan over medium heat. Mix 1 tablespoon salt, the lime zest and cayenne in a small bowl. Brush the potato wedges with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on all sides (including the skin) and just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; immediately season with the salt mixture and sprinkle with cilantro.

Bobby Flay’s Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Lime and Cilantro…It’s What’s for a Summer Side Dish.

Comments

Just love Bobby!!! Interesting about the par boiling… i just slice em thinner and cook on the grill.

Excellent job with the grill marks!!!

beautiful plate

Dave

I agree Dave, I think I did white potato wedges and don’t think I pre-cooked. I was pretty proud of those grill marks. :-) Always good to hear from you.

I put sweet potatos on the grill…whole with the skins on, rubbed with a little oil. I will definitely try Bobbie’s recipe with your suggestions.

I just had a kids’ cooking class on Monday where we did everything on the grill (from salad to dessert!) and that included grilled potato slices. Never thought to try sweet potatoes, so thanks for the heads up on this recipe!

I am not watching Food Network Star… Will have to find it and check it out. I don’t watch a huge amount of television and currently am glued to True Blood and Weeds new seasons.

I’m having friends from England for dinner on Sat. night and plan to barbeque chicken and was wondering what special little side I could serve. Thanks so much for solving my dilemma. This looks wonderful.

How cool is that. I would have never thought to grill sweet potatoes. You got great grill marks Lea Ann, just like Bobby would do. I just read in a magazine that he’s been on the air fifteen years. He’s so cute it’s hard to believe he’s even that old. Love ya Bobby.

I may not have a grill, but I am definitely roasting these babies up. Lime and cilantro are the perfect flavor pairing for sweet potatoes!

Like you, I’ve always found Bobby’s recipes to be reliable. We like grilled sweet potatoes and have been looking for something different to do with them and this will fit the bill. That’s a good looking plate of food.

I have some pink Hawaiian salt and love it. Thanks for the heads up for the Himalayan. And thanks so much for stopping by and the comment.

I hear tales of people that can’t stand Bobby Flay and maybe they have some personal experience to back it up; but I have to tell you, his recipes have never disappointed me. Ever. I’m so loving sweet potatoes, wondering why for years we relegated to November only!

Uh-oh is that Bobby getting a “Martha” reputation? :-) re: Sweet Potatoes, maybe it’s only been in the last years that we’ve come up with better storage methods for sweet potatoes so we can have them year round???