As promised, I’m posting the recipe for the salad our friend Teri brought to our Super Bowl Party. Wanting to contribute a Louisiana-themed salad she turned to our friend Google and came up with this tasty recipe from the Palace Cafe in New Orleans, Louisiana Sunburst Salad.
Wanting to learn more about the restaurant, I found their website. It reads: “Located at the foot of the French Quarter, Palace Café serves contemporary Creole cuisine in an upbeat and lively grand café. As bearers of the torch keeping Creole cuisine alive and vital, Dickie and Palace Café’s culinary team are constantly evolving traditional Creole dishes and creating a few new favorites. The restaurant, housed in the historic Werlein’s music building, has earned local and national critical acclaim since it opened in 1991 including: Best New Restaurant from Esquire magazine and USA Today; the prestigious Ivy Award from Restaurants and Institutions magazine, and Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence.
Palace Café is owned and operated by Dickie Brennan, Steve Pettus and Lauren Brennan Brower. Executive Chef Darin Nesbit and Chef De Cuisine Ben Thibodeaux lead the culinary team.”
So there you have it. This explains it all. A member of the legendary Brennan family is responsible for the fabulous and elegant flavors for this salad. The addition of cinnamon in the dressing makes this very unique. Teri, I’m officially putting you in charge of Googling theme recipes for all parties from here on out. GREAT find.
Thanks to Teri’s husband Dan for sending this recipe along so I could share it with you.
- 24 oz mesclun mix (mixed baby lettuces like mache, frisee, radicchio, spinach)
- 2 oz dried cranberries
- 2 oz almonds, sliced and toasted (Dan burns them a little bit on purpose)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce vegetable oil
- 2 oz crumbled Stilton cheese (or blue cheese)
- 2 oz ruby port wine
- 2 oz raspberry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 oz water
- 5-10 dashes of Tabasco
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the cranberries overnight in the port.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oil, water, vinegar, Tabasco, cinnamon and sugar. Whisk until emulsified (Dan don't make me do an emulsification demonstration). Add the lettuce and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the greens on a plate and garnish with the crumbled cheese, cranberries, and almonds.
Trust me, bookmark this one and give it a try. Thank you Brennans. I’m interested to know, have you been to the Palace Cafe?
On this day..
- Rocky Mountain Steak Salad - 2012