Sauteed zucchini and potatoes. Simply flavored with thyme this Zucchini and Potato Skillet is a beautiful Summer side dish. And a great way to showcase Summer Zucchini.
My new favorite side dish takes less than 30 minutes to make, has just a few steps and finds a new use for our favorite prolific garden vegetable, zucchini. This is wonderful, fantastic, simple and eloquent. And I couldn’t wait to reheat it for breakfast the next morning, just to prove I could eat it morning, noon and night.
Ways To Use Zucchini
Well it about that time. The time of year when Zucchini start showing up. They mysteriously appear on your desk at work or on your front step. They arrive like Secret Santa gifts.
And they’re never normal size like the ones commercially grown that you find at the store. These are more the size of small dogs.
And being the good stewards of our land, we do our best to use them. We start looking for recipes, zucchini bread, zucchini cake, sauteed zucchini, grilled zucchini, stuffed zucchini. Well here’s a new one for you and it’s quite yummy!
Simple seasonings are garlic and thyme. And of course the salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. I enjoyed this recipe at a recent Sprouts Farmer’s Market event, hosted at the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association headquarters. An event that was all about cooking steak where I made this Grilled Ribeye Steaks with Spicy Mustard Sauce. And it’s a great find. I inquired about the process and very easily recreated it at home. A perfect side dish for grilled steak – just sayin’.
Ready to work on your knife skills? Chopping potatoes and zucchini into small even pieces insures that the vegetables cook quickly, evenly and flavors blend consistently.
Recipe for Zucchini and Potato Skillet with Thyme
I hope you give this Zucchini and Potato Skillet recipe and try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite way to use zucchini, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More recipes for zucchini:
And this recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Muffins that I can’t wait to try.
If you’re on the hunt for side dishes, don’t hesitate to click on my category for Side Dishes. You’ll find lots of yummy choices including the most popular side dish recipe on my site for Broccoli Cheez Whiz Casserole.
Zucchini and Potato Skillet with Thyme
- 4 tablespoons neutral oil, (safflower or sunflower) divided
- 1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes such as Yukon Gold, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini cut into 1/2 inch slices or cubes
- Wash zucchini. Cut the zucchini lengthwise and and then cut those pieces lengthwise. With a knife, gently remove the seeds leaving as much flesh as you can. Salt, cover with a clean cloth and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook until light golden brown on one side, 3–4 minutes. Season with Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper. Using a spatula, toss potatoes and cook until light golden brown on all sides and cooked through, 8–10 minutes longer. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add thyme; toss to coat. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; set aside and keep warm.
- Uncover zucchine and slice.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet. Add zucchini and cook until light golden brown and tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Add to bowl with potatoes and gently toss to combine. Taste and adjust flavor with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Zucchini and Potato Skillet … It’s what’s for a Side Dish