With chipotle, apples, ginger and lime, this savory spicy Sweet Potato Soup recipe is a healthy and hearty Fall dinner entree. Serve along side a green salad for a super healthy meal.
This recipe was first published in February, 2015 and updated November, 2020
About This Soup and Why It Works
When the weather turns chilly, this is one of the first soup recipes I turn to, to celebrate Fall.
The prep for this soup is easy and the reward a complex set of flavors that will wow your dinner crowd.
This spicy sweet potato soup is a one pot meal that the whole family will love. Paired with a simple green salad and some bread, it’s the perfect light dinner.
Sweet potatoes are super healthy, packed with nutrients, antioxidants and fiber. Making them a wise choice for health. Adding adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers, adds spicy smoky fun and excitement to the overall flavor.
The ease of this sweet potato soup recipe is just an added bonus to the flavor that comes along for the ride. Onions, celery, Granny Smith apples are just the beginning of the lineup.
In the end you have a combination of sweet, savory, spicy and creamy. Sounds perfect, doesn’t it?
Ingredients for Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- Chicken Broth: Is the only liquid used to make this soup which makes this a non-dairy sweet potato soup.
- Onions and Celery: Onions and celery are sauteed in oil and butter for the foundation to build flavor. Sweet onions or yellow onions are used for this soup.
- Oil and Butter: Why use both? Butter brings that buttery flavor, while vegetable oil, with its higher heat index will keep the butter from burning, allowing you to saute the onions and celery to their desired tenderness.
- Ginger and Garlic: Ginger has a great flavor profile to compliment sweet potato and would soup be soup without garlic?
- Granny Smith Apples: A crisp hard apple with a sharp flavor offsets the sweetness of the sweet potato.
- Chipotle Sauce: Using the sauce that surrounds those chipotle peppers in adobo brings a welcome just right spicy heat and smoky flavor.
- Lime Juice: Acidic lime juice balances and brightens flavors.
- Chicken Broth: Substitute Vegetable Broth to make this a vegetarian sweet potato soup.
- Granny Smith Apples: You can substitute any crisp tart apple for the Granny Smith Apples. Pink Lady Apples, Braeburn, McIntosh, or Jonathan apples are a good choice. Avoid sweet apples like Gala, or Golden Delicious. With the sweetness from the sweet potato, a sweet apple will make the soup overly sweet.
- Chipotle Sauce: Don’t have a can of Chipotle Peppers en Adobo? Use 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste and 1 teaspoon of hot smoked paprika.
- Lime Juice: Out of limes? Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar instead. It will serve the same purpose to balance and brighten the flavor.
- Sweet Potatoes: You can substitute Butternut Squash for the Sweet Potatoes. The soup won’t be quite as sweet but still incredible with flavor.
- Sour Cream: This soup is shown garnished with sour cream. You can switch out the sour cream with non-fat Greek yogurt for a healthier option.
How To Make Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- Step 1: Add butter and olive oil to a Dutch oven. When butter starts to bubble, add the celery and onion and cook until tender, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Step 2: Add chopped apples, garlic, and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the stock, water and sweet potatoes to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer soup until the vegetables are tender, 25 – 30 minutes.
- Step 4: Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro, pepita seeds and sour cream.
FAQ’s and Tips
I pick around the ginger bin for the smallest piece I can find because it usually goes bad in the fridge before I can use it all. Freeze it! Put it in a plastic bag and freeze it and when you need a little, just pull it out and zest it using a microplane. You don’t even need to peel it. No more wrestling with mincing that fibrous chunk of ginger.
You really don’t need to spend time scraping the leaves from the stalks. Just chop it together with the leaves. Unlike other leafy herbs, the stalks of cilantro are not bitter. You can use it all.
Absolutely. The soup won’t be quite as sweet, but the flavor will still be outstanding. Pro tip: Add carrot to butternut squash soup for color.
Yes, but be careful with the hot liquid. Only fill the canister of the blender half full. Place the lid on top, slightly ajar, holding the lid with your hand. Blend in batches.
Drizzle don’t drop. Use a squeeze bottle to drizzle cream, yogurt or sour cream over any soup. Thin yogurt or sour cream with milk. Don’t just plop a dollop in the center of the soup. A drizzle is much prettier don’t you think? To make the simple design in the photography, just take a toothpick and drag through the strip of sour cream.
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup Recipe with Apple
I hope you give this spicy Sweet Potato Soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
And please scroll down and leave a message about your experience with the recipe. Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite Sweet Potato Soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Sausage
- Fire Roasted Creamy Tomato Soup
- Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe (Potage Creme de Fromage)
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe with Apples
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Yellow onion chopped
- 2 ribs Celery cut crosswise into thin slices
- 2 Granny Smith apples cores removed and cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 large clove garlic peeled and thin sliced
- 1 teaspoon Fresh ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon Adobo sauce from canned chipotles with adobo or more depending on taste and heat level
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 pounds Sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Toasted Pepita Seeds
- Cilantro leaves and Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream for garnish
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the oil and butter and heat until the butter melts.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until tender and translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the apples, garlic, ginger and chipotle sauce. Season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, water and sweet potatoes to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer soup until the vegetables are tender, 25 – 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add the lime juice, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among bowls, garnish with pumpkin seeds and cilantro leaves and serve.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Chipotle …It’s what’s for Dinner.