Not high on my list of things to do is peeling a butternut squash. But once you’re done with the laborious task of peeling, seeding and hacking away at that uncooked gourd, this beautifully flavored Curried Butternut Squash Soup is your reward.
This is hands down the best butternut squash soup recipe that we’ve ever had. EVER.
My trip to the store found me desperately searching the produce case for a package of peeled and cubed butternut squash for this recipe. After an unsuccessful pursuit, I found a produce guy who cheerfully told me he’d go in the back and get me a package. “Gosh, I guess we’re out,” was his announcement when he returned empty handed.
Feeling beaten, I tried to reassure myself that peeling and cubing this ornery vegetable myself would yield a fresher and more flavorful end result. And from what I read. this was exactly the case. Those convenient packages can leave you with a dried out vegetable. I found this article over at The Huffington Post, that suggests microwaving butternut squash before tackling the arduous job of peeling. Take a look and shed the angst.
Our friend Teri brought this soup to our last wine tasting party. She got the recipe from her brother, who should receive some sort of James Beard award for coming up with the idea to sprinkle the soup with Jimmy Dean Sausage and Feta Cheese before serving. They also dotted the soup with a few pomegranate seeds. Absolutely delicious. The reason you don’t see any seeds in my soup, is that the produce guy also had to announce that “gosh, guess we’re out” when I asked for a pomegranate. Oh well. Let’s take a look.
If you like using butternut squash in soups, you might like these recipes:
- Butternut Squash Soup with Apple
- Butternut Squash Marsala Stew
- Chicken Potato Vegetable Soup with Butternut Squash
Recipe for Curried Butternut Squash Soup
I hope you give this Butternut Squash Soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite butternut squash recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 pound butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1- pieces
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean Sausage cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese Crumbled
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Stirring often. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, squash, curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper into onion mixture. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir half-and-half, honey and sour cream into squash mixture.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Or pour squash mixture into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down. Pulse until smooth. Puree in batches until smooth.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with sausage and feta. Dot with pomegranate seeds (optional)
Curried Butternut Squash Soup … It’s what’s for Dinner