This shrimp remoulade recipe has just propelled itself into first place as our favorite appetizer small plate recipe. Butterflied, breaded and fried, and with a zesty Remoulade Sauce for dipping, it’s a winner.
Where Did I Learn To Make Shrimp Remoulade?
When Wine Spectator Magazine prints a feature article about food and recipes from distinguished restauranteurs and renowned chefs, one should sit up and take notice. Featured in this article was their Shrimp Remoulade recipe.
The July issue wrote about the third generation Greek-American Pappas brothers, who live in Houston. A family of entrepreneurs, the article talks about how their grandfather came through Ellis Island from Greece at the turn of the 20th Century and ended up in Dallas where he opened up restaurants. The current generation has grown to own 85 restaurants in seven states.
The original recipe called for Fried Gulf Oysters. Not a fan of shucking oysters, I made a quick decision to use shrimp and butterfly them to make more meat surface.
Pappas Bros Shrimp Remoulade Recipe
I hope you give this shrimp remoulade recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating and leave a comment about your experience with the recipe. I love hearing from my readers.
And if you have a favorite shrimp remoulade recipe, please let me know, I’d love to give it a try. And if you’re looking for more remoulade recipe ideas, you won’t want to miss this recipe from famous Galitoires Restaurant in New Orleans. Galatoires Remoulade Sauce.
Pappas Bros Shrimp Remoulade
- For the Breading:
- 3 1/2 Cup flour
- 3 Cups plus 3 T. corn flour
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/3 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound shrimp shelled, deveined and butterflied
- Oil for frying
- For the Remoulade
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon capers chopped
- 1 Tablespoon yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon parsley rough chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- For the shrimp:
- Place flour, corn flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and ground red pepper in a large mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly blend.
- Heat about 1/2 C. oil in a fry pan, preferably cast iron, until oil is hot.
- Dredge shrimp in seasoned flour, making sure they are covered good.
- Fry for about 2 minutes per side or until golden and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towels.
- For the remoulade:
- Place mayonnaise, ketchup, whole-grain bustard, capers, onion, parsley, thyme and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pile shrimp on a plate, serve next to a bowl of remoulade. Sprinkle all with parsley and serve with lemon wedges
Shrimp Remoulade …It’s What’s for Dinner