Rich, creamy and velvety easy queso blanco dip is simply the most perfect dip to serve with that big bowl of tortilla chips. Ready in under 10 minutes, this recipe uses the microwave to make it super easy.
One of the simple pleasures of dining at a Mexican restaurant is ordering a bowl of queso and chips. Who can resist dipping a tortilla chip into melted cheese followed up by a sip of margarita. Yes please.
But why not learn how to make a white queso dip recipe at home! It’s so easy.
Back in my 20’s I was hooked on the melted Velveeta cheese dip, the one where salsa was added. Easy, but there was a slow cooker involved and a bit of a fuss to get it blended.
Enter this homemade queso blanco recipe where you put your microwave to work.
If you’re looking for a super simple white queso dip recipe, you must give this one a try. No Velveeta here, rather this recipe uses white American cheese, fresh roasted chile peppers, and pickled jalapenos.
Adding a splash of pickled jalapeno juice, adds an irresistible tangy flavor. Let’s take a look.
You’re ready to dip those chips.
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
- It’s super easy. All you need is a microwave safe bowl, some pickled jalapenos and chopped green chiles. Milk, water and cumin bring it all together.
- It’s white. So it presents well with blue corn tortilla chips.
- It’s irresistibly creamy and luscious.
- Once you pull all of the ingredients together it’s ready in 5 minutes!
- Your family will love this queso blanco dip and will ask for it frequently.
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’re not going to believe the minimalist approach for Queso blanco ingredients.
- 1/2 Pound White American Cheese.
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Diced Green Chiles.
- 1/3 Cup Milk, preferably full fat, 2% will work.
- 1/4 Cup water.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 Tablespoon fine diced pickled jalapeno.
- 1 Tablespoon of the juice from the jar of pickled jalapenos.
Tip: You’ll find white American cheese at your grocery store deli section. Ask the deli person for 1/2 pound unsliced. Have them cut it into a big chunk of cheese that you’ll be able to cube. This melting process works much better with cubes that trying to melt slices that are laying on top of each other. DO NOT attempt to use a cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese product for this recipe. American cheese is processed in a way that allows it to melt without breaking or turning greasy.
Step by Step Instructions
Be sure to see the recipe card below for complete ingredients and instructions.
How to make Queso Blanco:
- Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.
- Step 2: Microwave for five minutes, pausing to stir after every 60 seconds.
You’re done! You’ve got restaurant style queso in a matter of minutes. Grab those chips and dig in.
If the queso is too thick, stir in a splash of milk until it reaches desired consistency.
Just double up on the chopped pickled jalapenos. No need to add more of the juice, but the extra chopped jalapenos will give you more of that spicy heat. Or try a couple of dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
Absolutely yes. Again, purchase yellow American cheese from the deli. Have them cut it into a block instead of sliced.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. I don’t recommend freezing this queso blanco. It will compromise the texture.
Microwave in a glass bowl for about a minute, or as long as it takes to restore it to it’s creamy goodness. Stir every 30 seconds.
If you’re wanting to serve or take this queso dip to a party, double this recipe. Once it’s done cooking in the microwave, transfer to a small crock pot. Set the temperature on warm.
Queso Asadero is a Mexican mild flavored cheese that’s great for melting. Most other Mexican cheeses such as those labeled Cotija or Queso Fresco will not work for this recipe.
Equipment You’ll Need
- A great chips and dip serving platter and bowl. Like Lemon Grass Fiesta Ware set.
- A microwave safe glass bowl. I love these glass nesting bowls that come in all sizes.
Recipe for Queso Blanco Dip
I hope you give this white cheese queso recipe a try. You simply won’t believe how easy it is. And the just right spicy flavor will have you hooked. Just enough heat to have you coming back for more.
So enjoy that restaurant queso at home. With just the right combination of flavors and ingredients to make it smooth and creamy, you’re going to fall in love with this recipe.
Recipes Using Queso Blanco: Don’t just use this as a dip. Drizzle it over tacos, burritos, nachos, and even roasted potatoes or broccoli. It gives about anything a nice cheesy kick. Check out one of the most popular recipes on my site for Mexican Meatballs With Queso Blanco.
More Cheesy Appetizer Recipes
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
Queso Blanco Dip
- 1/2 pound White American Cheese roughly chopped into 1″ pieces
- 4 tablespoons Hatch green chiles roasted, peeled, chopped. Canned will also work
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno slices diced fine
- 1 tablespoon juice from the pickled jalapenos
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Combine all ingredients in a medium size glass bowl. Microwave for five minutes, pausing to stir after every minute. Serve hot.
Queso Blanco Dip … It’s The Easiest Appetizer Dip Ever.